Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Points Source?

Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

Points Source?

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:15 pm

Does anybody have a good source for CA77 points, with a points cam? I can probably cobble together a decent set from what I have in the parts bin, but the points on this CA77 have a space for a points cam, which I apparently DROPPED somewhere on the floor! It was there one minute, gone the next...

Backup question: do I actually Need the points cam? It does come in handy setting the gap, and everything on the 'Bay either doesn't have one - of which I have two new sets, but the screw-holes don't line up - or they want a ridiculous amount for a set - like, $22! Is there a suitable substitute - ? I spent a good half-hour looking for that tiny thing on the bench and the floor. Hopefully I will sweep it up somewhere.

casamere
honda305.com Member

Post by casamere » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:38 pm

ONEBADBUG
honda305.com Member

Here's some on Ebay

Post by ONEBADBUG » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:55 pm

DJM
honda305.com Member

Points cam.

Post by DJM » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:49 pm

I'm assuming that by 'points cam' you mean the adjustment screw found on most but not all points.

Bad news is that this isn't listed as a separate part and DOESN'T come with a new set of points so don't buy new ones in the hope that a new adjuster will be included. If you buy a new baseplate assembly complete with points you should get one that way.

You can adjust the points without the screw; it makes the job easier but has no function once you've tightened the two screws that hold the points in place on the baseplate.

Keep looking on the bench, buy a used set of points with baseplate on E-Bay or maybe someone on the list will have a spare one they'll send you.

I'm sure you'll take more care next time!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home