□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

stuck engines

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:51 am

I have also found that much rust when I removed the head.
I didn't bother with heat or soaking because as you found the entire piston is rusted to the sleeve.
I've been correct every time!
How were the head domes?. .................lm
rustywrench wrote:
Seadog wrote:Nice job, Rusty; you obviously have some experience freeing stuck pistons. I've never had the pleasure. I have a question, if I may, empty cylinder sleeves are removed by heating the head in an oven and they supposedly drop out. Could the same be done with the pistons still in the sleeves or would the heated pistons within the sleeves expand too much to make that possible?

I did once try heating the block with a heat gun until the soaking solution on top of the piston was boiling to no avail. One thought here. you would have to put the whole engine assembly in the oven since the pistons are still stuck and attached to the rods. The heat gun did nothing to help.
Yes Ed, drilling those holes made my day. Rusty

rustywrench
honda305.com Member

Post by rustywrench » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:06 am

LOUD MOUSE wrote:I have also found that much rust when I removed the head.
I didn't bother with heat or soaking because as you found the entire piston is rusted to the sleeve.
I've been correct every time!
How were the head domes?. .................lm
rustywrench wrote:
Seadog wrote:Nice job, Rusty; you obviously have some experience freeing stuck pistons. I've never had the pleasure. I have a question, if I may, empty cylinder sleeves are removed by heating the head in an oven and they supposedly drop out. Could the same be done with the pistons still in the sleeves or would the heated pistons within the sleeves expand too much to make that possible?
They were rusty but I have not looked that closely at them. I will post a pic later today though. First I have a hog ride to attend. Rusty

I did once try heating the block with a heat gun until the soaking solution on top of the piston was boiling to no avail. One thought here. you would have to put the whole engine assembly in the oven since the pistons are still stuck and attached to the rods. The heat gun did nothing to help.
Yes Ed, drilling those holes made my day. Rusty

rustywrench
honda305.com Member

stuck engines

Post by rustywrench » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:42 am

As I expected, the domes were pretty rusty.
Image20171112_155357 by kenneth zukowski, on Flickr

After brushing away the rust, I found that one exhaust valve landed open so the valve and seat most likely toast. Your opinion most appreciated, Ed. I don't have the experience on valves. If all valves were closed I would be tempted to blast this head clean, then do a static leak test to see how much they leak and hope for the best. At least I have cams etc. to play with. Rusty

Image20171112_212106 by kenneth zukowski, on Flickr

modelman
honda305.com Member

Post by modelman » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:41 am

Do you think there's a fundamental design flaw with these engines?
The reason I ask is that there's been many almost identical cases where this has been found, & i've also noticed that even when advertised it states either 'seized' or 'not seized' which suggests it common!!
I was very wary as to the fragility of the cases so didn't attempt to 'bash' them out so I jacked them hydraulically with grease.
I've renovated many old engines & none rusted up like these, maybe its the grade of materials used??
Attachments
TopEnd.jpg
TopEnd.jpg (201.87 KiB) Viewed 1544 times
GSX1400 Red/silver
GSX1400 Blue
GS1000G
Brockhouse Corgi
CB77
CA77
T140
BSA 250

I DO have to grow old, I DO NOT have to grow up.

rustywrench
honda305.com Member

stuck engines

Post by rustywrench » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:28 am

I'm not sure about the quality of the material used in these engines but I'm convinced that there is a directive in the big book for stupid people. When these bikes quit running for whatever reason, the rider pulls the sparkplugs, looks into the cylinder, then parks the bike under a tree where it sits for the next twenty years. Those parked in a garage under a tarp fair much better than those out in the weather. JMHO for what it is worth. Rusty

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: stuck engines

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:31 am

You describe the syndrome well Rusty. ..............lm
rustywrench wrote:I'm not sure about the quality of the material used in these engines but I'm convinced that there is a directive in the big book for stupid people. When these bikes quit running for whatever reason, the rider pulls the sparkplugs, looks into the cylinder, then parks the bike under a tree where it sits for the next twenty years. Those parked in a garage under a tarp fair much better than those out in the weather. JMHO for what it is worth. Rusty

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home