Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

66' 305 DREAM DIES OUT AT IDLE

ROBM50
honda305.com Member

66' 305 DREAM DIES OUT AT IDLE

Post by ROBM50 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:26 pm

Hi guys,
I was hoping that someone could give me some helpful recommendations on how to make my 66' 305 Dream idle without dying. Runs fine as long as I'm applying throttle to it. I've adjusted the right carb screw slowly to the right all the way to max and there's no change. Even came back the other direction and still got no results. Are there other adjustments or components that affect how your bike idles? Really need your help and it would be appreciated! FYI! Carb was rebuilt in '016 summer by a local shop which is now closed. Rob

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:21 pm

The other screw is the throttle stop.

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Nick
honda305.com Member

Post by Nick » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:49 am

the screw on the left side of carb closest to the cylinder head is the 'air screw'. the screw to the right of it is the idle adj. screw.
After setting the idle with the idle screw, use the air screw to attain the best (highest) idle with the air screw, then adj idle screw as needed. Engine warm.

If turning the air screw has no effect on the idle speed, the air screw circuit is plugged and carb needs to be properly cleaned.

To clean: strip carb, soak in lacquer thinner, blast clean with compressed air.

Do it yourself. You can't trust anyone else to do a proper job.

"I had it rebuilt." means nothing.
Do what you've always done and you'll get what you've always had.

jkv357
honda305.com Member

Post by jkv357 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:32 am

Nick wrote:the screw on the left side of carb closest to the cylinder head is the 'air screw'. the screw to the right of it is the idle adj. screw.
After setting the idle with the idle screw, use the air screw to attain the best (highest) idle with the air screw, then adj idle screw as needed. Engine warm.

If turning the air screw has no effect on the idle speed, the air screw circuit is plugged and carb needs to be properly cleaned.

To clean: strip carb, soak in lacquer thinner, blast clean with compressed air.

Do it yourself. You can't trust anyone else to do a proper job.

"I had it rebuilt." means nothing.
^ This!

One thing though - if you do decide you want it professionally done, I know a guy you can trust to do it right. He goes by "ducatiman" and is a frequent contributor on many cycle forums.

Here's his site - www.customcarbservices.com

You won't be disappointed.

cadman
honda305.com Member

Idle

Post by cadman » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:31 pm

....or try this - Go to the drug store and get an ear syringe - get some Sea Foam or other liquid carb cleaner - totally remove the air screw from the carb - sqeeze the ear syringe and suck up some carb cleaner - hold the ear syringe snuggly against the hole where the air srcew was and squeeze.

If the air passage is clear, fluid will flow if not hopefully it will unplug. If this doesn't help you may have a vacuum leak - run the engine and squirt some WD-40 around the intake area - if the engine dies you have a vacuum leak. (Sounds a lot more like a vacuum leak)

ROBM50
honda305.com Member

Thanks

Post by ROBM50 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:00 pm

Thanks guys for your response to my idling issue. Hope to get it corrected soon!
Rob

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home