Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Frozen?

hi-roller2
honda305.com Member

Frozen?

Post by hi-roller2 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:06 pm

I just picked up a Ca77 today, it hasn't been on the road since 1968 with on 3.7k on the clock and has the original Nitto tires, one original mirror on it and what i believe to be the original NGK sparkplugs. I think this ca is a very early one because it doesn't have a turn signal switch on it. I'll get a pic and the vin up soon. I got it as a Christmas present but the engine doesn't spin quite as freely as the guy said, (didn't think to check untill we got home 300-odd miles later) plainly the stator just kinda jerks back and forth in gear. I think the clutch is stuck or something because the rear wheel will drag when in gear even though the clutch lever is pulled. We tried different adjusment on the cable but to no avail. I also believe (and hope) the engine is stuck do to condensation because the cyl tops are really clean. Any tips would be gladly appreciated.

kustommusic
honda305.com Member

Post by kustommusic » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:56 pm

If its been sitting for awhile the problem is the clutch. I bet the engine will turn over when you get the clutch discs freed up. Of course you will need to replace them. Kustommusic

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Frozen?

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:45 pm

As you will have more questions on a bike you just acquired I would like some idea as to your age/background so I can have some idea as to what knowledge you may need for your new bike and we/others can be of help in the future. QUOTE "The clutch is stuck"???????????? Do you have a parts manual or any other information as to this bike or if not do you expect help from this list without taking time to get paper/book info? YEP I'm trying to find if you have made an effort to get info for future use or merely take an easy route at the start. YEP! I get a bit stiff at times. .......................lm

hi-roller2 wrote:I just picked up a Ca77 today, it hasn't been on the road since 1968 with on 3.7k on the clock and has the original Nitto tires, one original mirror on it and what i believe to be the original NGK sparkplugs. I think this ca is a very early one because it doesn't have a turn signal switch on it. I'll get a pic and the vin up soon. I got it as a Christmas present but the engine doesn't spin quite as freely as the guy said, (didn't think to check untill we got home 300-odd miles later) plainly the stator just kinda jerks back and forth in gear. I think the clutch is stuck or something because the rear wheel will drag when in gear even though the clutch lever is pulled. We tried different adjusment on the cable but to no avail. I also believe (and hope) the engine is stuck do to condensation because the cyl tops are really clean. Any tips would be gladly appreciated.

hi-roller2
honda305.com Member

Post by hi-roller2 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:04 pm

I was just asking for well known sydromes that these bikes suffer from since I myself am not familiar with 300, I have a 160 engine at my dads garage. I've rebuilt a suzuki fa50 and a coulpe of briggs motors and a chrysler 340. Plus My old man has some experience with cb350 twins and he has garage. I know that the screws aren't fun because I took off the stator cover and they only came out with an impact driver. As for a parts book, I don't have one yet. Besides, who hasn't tried to take the easy way out ;) Seriously though, I was looking to see if this engine would be a waste of time because of any known major problems.
thanks
preston

honda305.com Member

Post by 305 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:08 pm

i believe the clutch not releasing is common..every dream i had the clutch would stick if it sat for a while

however , if the clutch is stuck or not the motor should still be able to turn over. i'm not sure by your description if it does or not ??

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:39 pm

I think ya need to get inside and some books and GIVE US the answers as to what you find. ...............lm

hi-roller2 wrote:I was just asking for well known sydromes that these bikes suffer from since I myself am not familiar with 300, I have a 160 engine at my dads garage. I've rebuilt a suzuki fa50 and a coulpe of briggs motors and a chrysler 340. Plus My old man has some experience with cb350 twins and he has garage. I know that the screws aren't fun because I took off the stator cover and they only came out with an impact driver. As for a parts book, I don't have one yet. Besides, who hasn't tried to take the easy way out ;) Seriously though, I was looking to see if this engine would be a waste of time because of any known major problems.
thanks
preston

305 nut
honda305.com Member

Post by 305 nut » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:50 pm

Hey hi roller, I just bought a 305 dream 3 months ago, the guy said it had good compression but hadn't ran for 20 years. It was nice, but being through this before, I immediately tore the engine down and found all the rings on 1 cyl. were stuck to the piston, so even if I got it running, it wouldn't have run well. The best thing to do is like loud mouse said, buy some books, I suggest bill silvers and tear it down. These are an easy motor to work on IF you have information on them. 305 nut

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home