Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

RH Crankcase clutch adjuster grease/clutch rod seal '66 CB77

Tropicalpunchai
honda305.com Member

RH Crankcase clutch adjuster grease/clutch rod seal '66 CB77

Post by Tropicalpunchai » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:51 pm

Hi all, I just purchased a 1966 CB77. and this is my first time working on a bike other than oil changes.
The guy who sold it to me gave me a new clutch cable.
So, I wanted to replace the clutch cable. When I opened the RH Crankcase, it was covered with oil and/or grease.
So, I was searching on this Forum to find out what grease to use...
Instead I found out many people have issues with clutch rod seal popping out???

Question 1, Which one is the clutch rod seal? the one behind sprocket? mine does not look like it popped out... can someone confirm?
how would I know if this mess was caused by the oil leak? i have already cleaned it all...

Question 2, so... what grease do I need and where do I apply? just inside the clutch adjuster ?
When I tool the RH crankcase cover off, my initial thought was that grease needed for the clutch adjuster and kick starter gear... Why can't i find the information about grease?

Thanks in advance, Ai[/img][/img]
Attachments
before cleaning
before cleaning
before.jpg (163.08 KiB) Viewed 2419 times
after cleaning
after cleaning
after.jpg (223.05 KiB) Viewed 2421 times
the cover side of the RH crankcase. I am thinking I need to apply grease in the area it has different color grease/oil and the gears.
the cover side of the RH crankcase. I am thinking I need to apply grease in the area it has different color grease/oil and the gears.
grease.jpg (121.06 KiB) Viewed 2419 times

Billiam
honda305.com Member

Seal

Post by Billiam » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:15 am

Bearing in mind I know bugger all Punchy. I put a new cable on mine a few weeks ago as the action was so heavy and for your interest it was almost as bad untill I pumped oil into it and re-routed outside the tank.
Like you I found lots of mucky grease in the case which had come from over zealous use of the grease gun on the pivot and kickstart spindle nipples.
Can't come from the engine, there's none in it !
Two things to watch for - the 5/16" end thrust ball. It looked safe stuck up inside but it wasn't. It escaped and the fairies carried it off before I noticed. Grrrhh. The other thing, the two gears have markings to line the teeth up. Very faint but they are there.
Now can you tell me where the breather pipe from r/h cylinder goes. Have just found it dangling in space !
Best of Luck. Rob.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Seal

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:26 am

Down and to the right side of the left carb should be a sort of loop for the tube to be held by then through a slot cut in the front edge and to the left of center in the valley cover then under the cover fastener to the right and if possible (not all will) through the hole behind the drive sprocket. ...............lm

Billiam wrote:Bearing in mind I know bugger all Punchy. I put a new cable on mine a few weeks ago as the action was so heavy and for your interest it was almost as bad untill I pumped oil into it and re-routed outside the tank.
Like you I found lots of mucky grease in the case which had come from over zealous use of the grease gun on the pivot and kickstart spindle nipples.
Can't come from the engine, there's none in it !
Two things to watch for - the 5/16" end thrust ball. It looked safe stuck up inside but it wasn't. It escaped and the fairies carried it off before I noticed. Grrrhh. The other thing, the two gears have markings to line the teeth up. Very faint but they are there.
Now can you tell me where the breather pipe from r/h cylinder goes. Have just found it dangling in space !
Best of Luck. Rob.

Billiam
honda305.com Member

Post by Billiam » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:02 pm

Thanks L.M. even more mystified now though !
Thought I had sorted it when I found that both cylinders had a nipple in them which appears to lead up into the inlet tracts near the valves.
Thinking this was a balance pipe between the two inlet tracts I have coupled them up.
Not road tested yet but she fired up ok. So where does that leave me.
I did wonder if they had a dual function. For attaching a manometer to balance the carbs and to smooth the inlet pulses when running but what do I know.
Not much.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:07 pm

As you look yo will find 2 of those.
HONDA designed this breather? system to go to a plastic "Y" then a single to go to the front of the right side air cleaner. ...............lm

Billiam wrote:Thanks L.M. even more mystified now though !
Thought I had sorted it when I found that both cylinders had a nipple in them which appears to lead up into the inlet tracts near the valves.
Thinking this was a balance pipe between the two inlet tracts I have coupled them up.
Not road tested yet but she fired up ok. So where does that leave me.
I did wonder if they had a dual function. For attaching a manometer to balance the carbs and to smooth the inlet pulses when running but what do I know.
Not much.

Billiam
honda305.com Member

Post by Billiam » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:34 pm

Thanks again L.M.
You can call me Grasshopper, Master.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:43 pm

You are welcome for your replys and remember others may/will use the information now and in the future. ...............lm

Billiam wrote:Thanks again L.M.
You can call me Grasshopper, Master.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home