honda305.com Forum

Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Sticky throttle is going to drive me to drink....

danielzink
honda305.com Member

Sticky throttle is going to drive me to drink....

Post by danielzink » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:27 pm

I've read up....apparently the "sticky" throttle is a known issue with these bikes...

I thought I'd try to remedy it...all to no avail...

New slider and throttle tube from Thailand...silicone grease...graphite spray...polishing and grinding any and all burrs of the inside of the throttle tube...filing the aluminum slider plate...

I put in a good 4 hours today...and the !@#$ thing still won't return...

has *anyone* gotten the slide to work smoothly ?

/rant off

Dan

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Sticky throttle is going to drive me to drink....

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:36 pm

Add your location.
Are you sure the problem is the carb and not the cable or grip? ....................lm

danielzink wrote:I've read up....apparently the "sticky" throttle is a known issue with these bikes...

I thought I'd try to remedy it...all to no avail...

New slider and throttle tube from Thailand...silicone grease...graphite spray...polishing and grinding any and all burrs of the inside of the throttle tube...filing the aluminum slider plate...

I put in a good 4 hours today...and the !@#$ thing still won't return...

has *anyone* gotten the slide to work smoothly ?

/rant off

Dan
Last edited by LOUD MOUSE on Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

mike1969
honda305.com Member

throttle

Post by mike1969 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:41 am

Dan, They won't snap back like newer bikes. The best you can hope for is a slow return. Most of the time I would just roll the throttle back manually. Did you try the nut and screw adjustment on the underside of the throttle?

danielzink
honda305.com Member

Re: throttle

Post by danielzink » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:11 am

LOUD MOUSE wrote:Add your location.
Fixed.

LOUD MOUSE wrote:Are you sure the problem is the carb and not the cable or grip? ....................lm
Yeah.

Freshly rebuilt carb....it does the same thing with the throttle tube with a grip on it or a bare throttle tube.

Both sliders do the same thing (stock and brand new).

Cable works dandy..if I pull on the ball end everything works smoothly and snaps back like a dream...

mike1969 wrote:Dan, They won't snap back like newer bikes. The best you can hope for is a slow return. Most of the time I would just roll the throttle back manually. Did you try the nut and screw adjustment on the underside of the throttle?
Yes as well....tried *removing* the nut and grub screw completely all with no joy...

Thanks for the help fellows.

Dan

DianneB
honda305.com Member

Post by DianneB » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:25 am

I fought with that on my '67 C77 and came to the conclusion that only the addition of a stronger spring would cause the throttle to close on its own.

Personally I DON'T like that. I swapped out the bars and put on an aftermarket throttle.

mike1969
honda305.com Member

throttle

Post by mike1969 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:31 am

It's like Dianne said. You have a very weak and thin spring to overcome all of the friction of moving parts.
The newer bikes have a pull spring and a separate push spring which work great. These older bikes just don't have the capability.

Nick
honda305.com Member

Post by Nick » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:30 am

I stretched out the spring.

However, you must ensure that the slide can move freely inside the carb. If the carb has been over-tightened it can warp, causing the slide to bind, usually at the top of its travel.

Slide binding can also be caused by build-up of gunk (for want of a better word) on the surface of the slide and interior of the slide bore.
Do what you've always done and you'll get what you've always had.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home