Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1964 CA77 Restoration

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:39 am

Many thanks, Jeff. Great photos; looks as if it should fit the stock Dream bracket. I looked up the service manual for the '74 - '80 Kawasaki KZ400 and the primary coil resistance should be 3.8 - 4.2 Ohms and secondary about 13K Ohms. That should be okay for the Dream, I believe. Good find.

Eljeef
honda305.com Member

Post by Eljeef » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:08 am

Excellent! Glad I could contribute.
1964-C77 305 Dream
2002 BMW R1150GS

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:42 pm

All stars were aligned, the house was quiet and the workshop warm, so I was able to finish the transmission today. New shift drum and all hardware except the forks, which look good. Nice engagement in 2nd and 3rd. Installed new seals while it was easy to do. Next up, closing the cases. I'm reading as much as I can find about applying Hondabond. I'm particularly concerned about squeeze out into the oil passages. Apply to the top case or the bottom? Brush or finger? How thick?

I'm also working on the carburetor and hunting for mufflers. Luckily, I found NOS header pipes, which are on the way. I still need to re-zink the muffler clamps and shims.

I'm looking forward to installing and testing this engine.

Tim Miller
honda305.com Member

Post by Tim Miller » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:32 pm

Seadog,

I first use a small flat lapping stone to make sure there's no high spots then brush on a very thin layer to top case only. Let whatever excess that pushes out set overnight then it will easily peal off next day.

Tim

Seadog wrote:All stars were aligned, the house was quiet and the workshop warm, so I was able to finish the transmission today. New shift drum and all hardware except the forks, which look good. Nice engagement in 2nd and 3rd. Installed new seals while it was easy to do. Next up, closing the cases. I'm reading as much as I can find about applying Hondabond. I'm particularly concerned about squeeze out into the oil passages. Apply to the top case or the bottom? Brush or finger? How thick?

I'm also working on the carburetor and hunting for mufflers. Luckily, I found NOS header pipes, which are on the way. I still need to re-zink the muffler clamps and shims.

I'm looking forward to installing and testing this engine.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:34 pm

Thanks Tim. I like the idea of using a stone rather than a flat file, as someone else suggested to me today. I've done that and laid out the nuts, bolts and washers to be at hand when needed. I'm glad I did because I found that I was missing the two 8mm nuts for the top of the case. I'll just use new from the hardware store. The washers are a bit smaller but should do until I can get the proper replacements. Tomorrow, I'll wipe down the mating surfaces with solvent and have at it.

Tim Miller
honda305.com Member

Post by Tim Miller » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:43 pm

I use acetone.

Good luck!
Tim
Seadog wrote:Thanks Tim. I like the idea of using a stone rather than a flat file, as someone else suggested to me today. I've done that and laid out the nuts, bolts and washers to be at hand when needed. I'm glad I did because I found that I was missing the two 8mm nuts for the top of the case. I'll just use new from the hardware store. The washers are a bit smaller but should do until I can get the proper replacements. Tomorrow, I'll wipe down the mating surfaces with solvent and have at it.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:42 pm

Thanks, Tim. I used acetone as well.

The deed is done. I prepared the mating surfaces, laid out my tools, posted an enlarged photo of the torque sequence from the manual, and had the fasteners at hand to get the cases back together this morning. I used a gloved finger to apply the Hondabond smoothly. It went quite well. Very little squeeze out. I'm really happy that's done. Hopefully it was done correctly.

Onward to cleaning up the engine and getting all of the bits and pieces back together.
Attachments
Bonded2.jpg
Bonded2.jpg (229.36 KiB) Viewed 1787 times
Bonded1.jpg
Bonded1.jpg (282.65 KiB) Viewed 1787 times

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home