□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

engine build - slowly but surely

Dick Eastman
honda305.com Member

Post by Dick Eastman » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:39 pm

Muddy wrote:I dunno where you guys get all those machines, tools and skills, but I'm very envious of what you do. Well done!

Muddy
Thanks, Muddy. I worked in the tool, die, and mold trade from 1970 to 2014. After I retired, I kept having to pay someone to machine stuff I would have done on my lunch break or after work, so after a few times I decided to buy a lathe and mill, and trying to find used machines that weren't worn out was difficult - and this area has a lot. I also had space considerations, and the mill is a scaled down Bridgeport.
Having the tools/experience spreads over into other hobbies besides motorcycles, like model engine collecting, hobby gunsmithing, and R/C aircraft.

Dick Eastman
honda305.com Member

Post by Dick Eastman » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:43 pm

Seadog wrote:I agree. But even if I can't do that stuff myself, it's fun to see others' accomplishments. As Muddy said - well done.
Muddy wrote:I dunno where you guys get all those machines, tools and skills, but I'm very envious of what you do. Well done!

Muddy
Thanks, Seadog. My goal is to have a replica track bike ,from "back in the day". As soon as I get my carb parts plated, I will get back to the frame and get the seat and tank fitted.

cknight
honda305.com Member

Post by cknight » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:03 pm

Well done. Did you make the washers under the head stud nuts, or are they commercially available? Thanks, Chase

Dick Eastman
honda305.com Member

Post by Dick Eastman » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:59 am

cknight wrote:Well done. Did you make the washers under the head stud nuts, or are they commercially available? Thanks, Chase
I made the copper washers. The acorn nuts are stainless, and slightly shorter than stock, so I made the washers thicker. Also, I re-cut the spotface under the washers for both a better finish, especially to seal the two studs carrying oil - some of the factory surfaces were not square with the studs. I also spotfaced all of the stud locations on the bottom case half. The stainless acorn nuts were available at local bolt supply house - trying to use S/S hdwr, wherever possible.

Dick Eastman
honda305.com Member

Post by Dick Eastman » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:09 pm

More stainless - I made these exhaust collars today, from 304 S/S seamless tubing:
Attachments
engine build 001 (Medium).jpg
engine build 001 (Medium).jpg (70.43 KiB) Viewed 3637 times
engine build 002 (Medium).jpg
engine build 002 (Medium).jpg (69.02 KiB) Viewed 3637 times

Dick Eastman
honda305.com Member

Post by Dick Eastman » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:50 pm

cknight wrote:Well done. Did you make the washers under the head stud nuts, or are they commercially available? Thanks, Chase
I made the copper washers. The acorn nuts are stainless, and slightly shorter than stock, so I made the washers thicker. Also, I re-cut the spotface under the washers for both a better finish, especially to seal the two studs carrying oil - some of the factory surfaces were not square with the studs. I also spotfaced all of the stud locations on the bottom case half. The stainless acorn nuts were available at local bolt supply house - trying to use S/S hdwr, wherever possible.

Dick Eastman
honda305.com Member

Post by Dick Eastman » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:01 am

I received my wheels from Buchanans Monday - they did a very nice job. The hubs are the same paint/color as side covers; paint is single-stage urethane. I went with stock sizes on the Excel rims, which are Akront copies [wheel of choice for track bikes from the era]; WM1 front, WM2 rear; 9 guage spokes rear, 10 guage front, S/S. Now for tires/tubes...
Attachments
engine build 004 (Medium).jpg
engine build 004 (Medium).jpg (79.76 KiB) Viewed 3565 times
engine build 003 (Medium).jpg
engine build 003 (Medium).jpg (79.53 KiB) Viewed 3565 times
engine build 002 (Medium).jpg
engine build 002 (Medium).jpg (88.33 KiB) Viewed 3565 times
engine build 001 (Medium).jpg
engine build 001 (Medium).jpg (73.93 KiB) Viewed 3565 times

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home