□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

SAM33
honda305.com Member

Post by SAM33 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:21 am

OOOH, that's lookin' nice!

I hope I can get as far as you in couple of years.
I just got my 66 about 2 months ago. Mine's in better shape than yours was, so with some luck and time (and money of course!) I think I can get there.

Thanks for the inspiration!

catterar
honda305.com Member

Post by catterar » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:23 pm

It took me nearly 4 years to get there. Almost 9 months of that time all the sheet metal sat in a body shop that kept giving me excuse after excuse why they hadn't gotten to it yet. When I finally took it back the only thing they had done was sand blasted the chain case. They also lost two parts. I took it to a local man who works days at a body shop and does extra work out of his garage. Three weeks later I had it back ready to assemble.
The second time I rode it the battery cover came off and hit the road at 55 MPH. I heard something but thought it was coming from a pick-up truck passing in the other direction. Luckily I was able to back track and find the battery cover in a road side ditch lots of road rash but it had not been hit by another vehicle. I also found the registration, insurance card tools and the license plate that were behind the cover. I'm running a year of manufacture plate but need to produce the plate that goes with the registration if requested. Got the cover back to my body man and he had it back to me 3 days later.
I have now put an "O" ring between the knob and the cover so I can really torque it down without damaging the paint.
Next I have to learn to turn off the petcock when I shut down. If I do remember to turn it off I frequently ride off without remembering to open it, but I'm reminded in about 200 yards.
I also forget to turn off the turn signals, I have come to rely too much on the self cancelling ones on the Harley. I'm thinking of trying to rig it so the neutral light flashes when the turn signals are on.
Boy this thing is fun to ride.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home