Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CB77 Battery / do I need one?

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
bart3
honda305.com Member

CB77 Battery / do I need one?

Post by bart3 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:42 pm

Haven't rode my 67 CB77 in a while. I can kick start it but it's hard to do and will die if I don't keep the throttle high and try to let it ideal. Hard to restart as well, I have to let it sit and takes several kicks again. I know the battery is bad and pulled it - does it need the battery to run properly? Thanks for any help!

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: CB77 Battery / do I need one?

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:05 pm

Get a good battery. .............lm
bart3 wrote:Haven't rode my 67 CB77 in a while. I can kick start it but it's hard to do and will die if I don't keep the throttle high and try to let it ideal. Hard to restart as well, I have to let it sit and takes several kicks again. I know the battery is bad and pulled it - does it need the battery to run properly? Thanks for any help!

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Post by Tim Allman » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:46 am

These bikes require batteries. The alternator does not produce enough power to run the bike at idle and the voltage will be quite spiky or erratic, possibly blowing light bulbs, without a battery to calm things down. It also provides voltage at low speed to run the bike. These charging systems aren't exactly Honda's best engineering but it was probably done to reduce cost.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:57 am

When first issued the charge system worked well.
So well we were boiling batteries dry by doing what we did back then.
"RODE THEM ALL THE TIME". (CB72)
HONDA lowered the magnetism of the rotor to allow the battery to last longer. CB72-(L)
If you ride often enough the charge can be enough for you to not have problems.
Funny when I don't use my lawn mower for a while the battery charge is low!. .........lm
Tim Allman wrote:These bikes require batteries. The alternator does not produce enough power to run the bike at idle and the voltage will be quite spiky or erratic, possibly blowing light bulbs, without a battery to calm things down. It also provides voltage at low speed to run the bike. These charging systems aren't exactly Honda's best engineering but it was probably done to reduce cost.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home