Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Kick Start Kick Back

stepper
honda305.com Member

Kick Start Kick Back

Post by stepper » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:40 pm

I finally got the Dream to run nice and smooth. Plugs are now looking a nice golden brown.

But, a new concern has come up...
I'm not sure if this is normal or not (first motorcycle) but the kickstart has kicked back at me a few times while trying to start. It doesn't happen all too often but when it does its usually a relatively gentle (but alarming) push back upwards on the kick pedal. But the last one I experienced a little while ago was with a bit more force followed by an immediate bell ring that sounded like a round of boxing has just begun.

I've read some posts on other forums that this is common and possibly normal but I thought I would get some opinions from here too.

Thanks!
JV

rrietman
honda305.com Member

Post by rrietman » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:57 pm

more common on singles than twins. on the dream with a wasted spark ignition you will get it if you don't kick it aggressively.
Good luck
Randy

stepper
honda305.com Member

Post by stepper » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:10 pm

rrietman wrote:more common on singles than twins. on the dream with a wasted spark ignition you will get it if you don't kick it aggressively.
Good luck
Randy

Thanks Randy,
I guess there lies the problem. I think in all cases I was guilty of kicking 'er over while wearing flip flops and shorts trying to avoid tearing up my ankle on the passenger peg.

stepper
honda305.com Member

Post by stepper » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:02 pm

Happened again!
This time with the electric start.

The battery (NOS Wisco JB-2) was fully charged but still had a bit of a hard time turning over the engine. Then after the second try it was like something got snagged, quick crunching sound then a loud "PING!"

Is this something I should be worried about?
What is that "ping" sound? It is quite disturbing.

Nick
honda305.com Member

Post by Nick » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:39 am

It's not unheard of for people to mistakenly static time the bike to the full advance mark, resulting in greatly advanced timing and much kick-back.....

With a piece of cellophane between the closed points, the cellophane should be released when the line on the stator closest to the TDC line aligns with the timing mark.

Better to use a strobe though.
Do what you've always done and you'll get what you've always had.

pieeater
honda305.com Member

kickback

Post by pieeater » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:30 pm

make sure the ignition timing is spot on.
If the timing is too far advanced and you don't kick it hard enough or it can happen using the starter as well what can happen is the engine fires too early and tries to go backwards this reversing action locks in the dog clutch on the starter motor and tries to turn the starter backward resulting in a ping or a loud clonk.
Mine was like this when I first got it. it took a while to work out what was going on.
if its not broke don't fix it.

Aermacchi ss350
Gilera 124
James SC1 Scooter
Honda CA77

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home