Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

5 speeds gear box

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
hondauser
honda305.com Member

5 speeds gear box

Post by hondauser » Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:51 pm

i'm looking for 5 speeds close ratio gear box ,copy or original,<br />adress of maker , ect.<br />thanks to answer , !!!!!
cb 72
cb 77 ,c77 ,cl77
velocette thruxton

87we4turbo
honda305.com Member

Re: 5 speeds gear box

Post by 87we4turbo » Sat Nov 29, 2003 7:52 am

I contacted Nova Racing Transmissions in England and received this reply:Dear Sir,<br /> <br />We regret to say that we no longer manufacture the CB77 5 speed gearbox as demand is very low and the cost of making them has increased considerably over the years.<br /> <br />I am sorry I cannot help you at this time<br /> <br />Hopefully you can locate either an actual Honda 5-speed, or you can find one of the Nova setups. <br /><br />

hondauser
honda305.com Member

Re: 5 speeds gear box

Post by hondauser » Sun Nov 30, 2003 3:56 am

thanks for answer !!!!<br />i was in contact with nova ing. by mr b.saunders ,a long time <br />ago and the cost was to hight for me at this time .<br />i have heard to speak about a german 5 speed gear-box?may be it is just a rumor ,<br />thanks anyway,<br />mike kwort
cb 72
cb 77 ,c77 ,cl77
velocette thruxton

bill440cars
honda305.com Member

Post by bill440cars » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:43 am

This isn't nearly as good as what you were inquiring about but, I'm told that a 68' (and only the 68', before Honda made improvements) CB/CL350 transmission (complete with clutch, shift drum and forks) will drop right in the Super Hawk case. I know that the 68' Honda 350 twins might not be that easy to locate, to check that out. However, I have located one, with the help of a friend @ Hondatwins.com and, as soon as he and I can arrange shipping and get the trans to me, I will be checking out that theory myself. It won't be the same as a high dollar race trans but, it will be a 5sp, if all goes well. After it is together, I'll have to raise the gearing ratio to the rear wheel brcause I'm also told that the overall gearing of the 350 trans is a little lower than the CB77 and the final ratio will have to be raised to make best use of the 5sp trans.

Later on, Bill

Phil-UK
honda305.com Member

Post by Phil-UK » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:32 am

Check out UK mag Classic Mechanics for this month.
A guy here in the UK has got a quote from Nova to build a 5-speed Road cluster ( apparently
the racing box isn't much use on the road ). They need a minimum of 10 orders worldwide
and the cost is @£1600 inc taxes ( which may not apply if outside the UK ).

Sounds a lot but given its new selectors, shafts and gears is probably pretty reasonable - certainly its on a par with their racing gear clusters for CB350s, Manxes etc..

Only drawback I've heard of it that the kickstart can no longer be fitted.

The bloke runs a 350cc converted CB77 on the road and is mightily impressed with it.

cheers

Phil

rrekr
honda305.com Member

Post by rrekr » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:36 pm

Hi Phil-UK,
It would be nice if it would generate enough demand to bring the price down a bit. At $3175USD,it is a bit costly,but I also understand that it would be expensive to manufacture. It seems there is several people with an interest in such a transmission. Is it a design constraint(because of the unique kickstarter arrangment) or would it add too much to the cost to have a kickstarter? That magazine is not available in little town. If you find anymore on this, (like ratios),please post.
Thanks,Randy

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home