Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1964 Superhawk Project

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:45 pm

Got everything back together this afternoon and tried to start the bike. No go. Lots of backfiring through the left exhaust and popping through both carbs, but nothing. Reset the timing repeatedly with no effect. Checked all wiring. Ended up stripping the Sachse sensor wires out from between the stator windings. Perhaps interference is the culprit. I'll try starting it again tomorrow with the sensor wires exposed. I'm tired, but not beaten. If it fails to start again, I'll reconnect the points, then see how it goes. On the plus side, I can now install an exhaust system in under 5 minutes. :-)

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:47 am

Hi Seadog

Great work as the guinea-pig on this.

I hate to suggest this because of your diligence and LM's expert help but have you tried just swapping the wires for the two cylinders?

In my experience, any electrical problem involving two wires needs at least three swaps to get the connection right......:-)

G
Seadog wrote:Got everything back together this afternoon and tried to start the bike. No go. Lots of backfiring through the left exhaust and popping through both carbs, but nothing. Reset the timing repeatedly with no effect. Checked all wiring. Ended up stripping the Sachse sensor wires out from between the stator windings. Perhaps interference is the culprit. I'll try starting it again tomorrow with the sensor wires exposed. I'm tired, but not beaten. If it fails to start again, I'll reconnect the points, then see how it goes. On the plus side, I can now install an exhaust system in under 5 minutes. :-)
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:34 am

Are you recommending the wires from the controller to the coils G?. ........................lm
G-Man wrote:Hi Seadog

I hate to suggest this because of your diligence and LM's expert help but have you tried just swapping the wires for the two cylinders?

In my experience, any electrical problem involving two wires needs at least three swaps to get the connection right......:-)

G
Seadog wrote:Got everything back together this afternoon and tried to start the bike. No go. Lots of backfiring through the left exhaust and popping through both carbs, but nothing. Reset the timing repeatedly with no effect. Checked all wiring. Ended up stripping the Sachse sensor wires out from between the stator windings. Perhaps interference is the culprit. I'll try starting it again tomorrow with the sensor wires exposed. I'm tired, but not beaten. If it fails to start again, I'll reconnect the points, then see how it goes. On the plus side, I can now install an exhaust system in under 5 minutes. :-)

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:02 am

G and LM, thank you. I don't know when I'll be able to get back to the wiring today - maybe in the afternoon, but I intend to go over it very, very closely. I hope the problem turns out to be as simple as a wiring error, but, honestly, I don't think so. I'll post whatever I find.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:58 am

Uh oh, I was just looking looking at the Honda wiring diagram and comparing it to the Sachse modified wiring diagram. What Sachse labels as the right and left coils are opposite to what Honda calls right and left..... Have to get back to today's busy program but I'll return to this later. Interesting turn though.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:25 am

Well, it turns out that the Sachse wiring diagram IS mislabeled. See the picture, below. I switched the wires at the coils and it started with the slightest touch of the starter button. Carbs still need adjusting; the idle is way too high. Once I have that figured out and it's running well, I'll try reinstalling the Sachse sensor wiring through the stator again.
Attachments
Sachse_cb77 copy.png
Sachse_cb77 copy.png (291.58 KiB) Viewed 745 times

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:05 pm

LM - It's easy for me to say yes after the event but I have found, over the years, that it's worth reversing things even if you are 'convinced' that they are correct.

A couple of weeks ago I helped a neighbour fix his diesel tractor which had just had a re-conditioned pump. Spent a load of time bleeding the system but nothing coming out of the injector lines. Eventually I set the run/stop control to 'stop' instead of 'run' and it started right up. He just has to remember now that the control works backwards. I still cannot fathom how they changed this around when they serviced the pump.

G

LOUD MOUSE wrote:Are you recommending the wires from the controller to the coils G?. ........................lm
G-Man wrote:Hi Seadog

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home