Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

What's Your Odometer reading?

stepper
honda305.com Member

What's Your Odometer reading?

Post by stepper » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:59 pm

In my search for my perfect Dream, I came across a CA77 from Brooklyn with 53,000 miles on it. I asked the owner if she meant 5,300 miles but she confirmed that it was actually 53,000. I also came across a Dream with a title confirmed 5000 miles on it. But as it turns out, this one had a "salvaged/rebuilt" title so it probably sat wrecked in a garage for 90 percent of its life.

It got me thinking, what kind of road miles are the enthusiasts achieving on their bikes.
So many of the bikes that I have been looking at for sale were in the 10-12,000 range that I find myself shying away from anything above 12,000. Maybe if I hear about your higher mileage numbers I can break out of this funk and I can open my options up.

So, what's on your clock?
And what major repairs (if any) have you had to make to get you there?

PhilD
honda305.com Member

What's your odometer reading?

Post by PhilD » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:17 pm

Hi,
My 1964 CB77 has 48,000 miles on the clock 40,000 of which I put on. In that time apart from consumables such as points, tyres, brake shoes, drive chain and sprockets it has also had a new camchain, kick-start shaft, roller set and bushing in the gear box, a known weakness with these engines. It was on first over size after a rebore but had to be taken out to second over size when I recently restored it as the engine was locked up after 32 years in the garage and there was some corrosion damage to the bores. The crank and all other bearings are still original and OK. My CB72 has just short of 30,000 miles and is on first over size with replaced cam chain and kicjkstart shaft also.These engines are very robust and if looked after with regular oil changes are capable of high mileages and longevity as evidenced by the many still being regularly ridden. In my experience of five examples owned by myself and friends they will require replacement of camchains, kick-start shafts, bushing and rollers and a rebore every 25,000 miles or so. I would not be worried by a high mileage if a bike has obviously been well looked after by one or a few knowledgeable owners. However even low mileage bikes can suffer if they have passed through many hands and have been abused and neglected along the way.
PhilD
1964 CB72
1964 CB77

leonvjames
honda305.com Member

Post by leonvjames » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:40 am

My 1964/5 CB77 has about one hundred and forty thousand miles on the clock, took me 9 years from new to travel the first 100 000 miles. I think it is on its fourth crankshaft and probably Honda 64mm pistons as it has been running as a 350 for years. It has had various camshafts in but is standard nowadays. I have kept a logbook of most of the things I have done, worn out or changed. This also includes most of the fuel I have used and the mileage and what town it was bought in. The current crank has done about 40 000 miles, used good quality oil, actually aircraft oil W80 grade, but not to sure how that translates to normal grades. It is changed every 1000 miles.
It has been and still is a great bike. One of the mufflers is origional and I think the brake shoes were changed at 80 000 miles. I fitted a Reid Titan 350cc kit in the late 60s to give it a bit more guts and it still is 350cc. Reid Tiitan was an english company. Their cams were good as well but had a tendancy to chew the splined end off the left one. You could sometimes struggle home on one cylinder though. I also had to replace the oil pump at one stage. It was cheaper than a footrest bracket to buy.
Leon

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home