Turning over CB77 305 by hand?

Carson
honda305.com Member

Turning over CB77 305 by hand?

Post by Carson » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:15 pm

HHi,
First motorcycle
First Superhawk
So I'll be sure to have some questions over the next few months.
I got a Cb77 locally for 600 bucks but it's not currently running. It's been sitting for at least 15 years and the general consensus of people I talk to is it probably isn’t a great idea to just wire it up and try and turn it over.

So question: Where is the easiest place to turn the motor over by hand with a wrench? I was told it should be near the starter inside the right side of the motor case, but I took it off and saw no good way of turning it over.

Thanks

kustommusic
honda305.com Member

Post by kustommusic » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:23 pm

Carson, Welcom newbie! With the right side cover off you can use the bolt in the center of the dynamo to turn the engine.(clockwise) BTW I would only do that with the plugs out of it. Have you tried the kick starter? and you really should send a picture with your next post so the rest of us can see what your working on. Good Luck,Kustommusic

Carson
honda305.com Member

Post by Carson » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:38 pm

I've not tried it myself but they guy I bought it from tried gently and it didn't move. He didn't want to damage the cylinders if they were frozen at all from sitting. The kick starter is pretty floppy too. It slides back and forth quite a bit. Is this something I should expect?
I don't think the engine is seized all the other parts show no signs of corrosion or rust on the inside. We opened up the left side panel and everything looked really fresh no dirt clean oil.

Is there a way to turn the engine backwards? I was hoping just to wiggle the pistons around and see if they were free. I’m pretty sure they are at just before top dead right now the valves are all closed. I haven’t checked to see the points if they are open or not though.

Should I just try it with a wrench, while I have the case off? Or just go straight for the kick start?

thanks for responding so fast.

clockworkorange
honda305.com Member

Post by clockworkorange » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:53 am

Well if it's a CB it's got a 180 crank which means only one piston at a time at TDC! Some-one correct me if I'm wrong but there should be no time at whitch all 4 valves are fully closed (sure would make adjusting valve lash easier though!) Clean oil in the sump does not mean some oxidation hasn't trapped the rings. Before you get to energenic with it, pull the plugs and squirt some penetrating oil into the cylinders. I prefer a 50/50 mix of military surplus gun cleaning solvent and diesel fuel, let'er soak over night and then kick it down into 1st and gently rock it back and forth and see what happens. Good luck! AND POST PICS!

Carson
honda305.com Member

Post by Carson » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:24 am

To be honest I only checked the valves on one cylinder now that I remember.
The guy I bought it from had been lubing up the cylinders for a month or so so they should be thoroughly lubed by now. Since the dynamo is already exposed I might as well give that a shot first then if not I'll put the housing back on and try the 1st gear and rock method.

if I get it moving should I go ahead and try and turn it over with the electric starter?

no guess on the floppy kick start?

thanks

clockworkorange
honda305.com Member

Post by clockworkorange » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:43 am

The sprag clutch on the kick starts are notoriously weak on these things. If you can get it to turn over by any means, check the electrics and give'r a go!! Kick it, push the button, roll start it, what ever! and PLEASE post some pics for those of us who live precariously through others!

Carson
honda305.com Member

Post by Carson » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:00 am

awsome! thanks

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home