Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Beginning Restoration

jleewebb
honda305.com Member

grease gun

Post by jleewebb » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:13 am

I got a "mini grease gun" from Harbor Freight... http://www.harborfreight.com/grease-gun ... 95575.html

If you use it on a standard zerk fitting it may not fit the small fittings afterwards.
'62 CB77. "It's a rider."

HondaPaul
honda305.com Member

Post by HondaPaul » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:31 pm

Thanks for the info guys! I think I'll try the HF grease gun first. If that doesn't work, then I'll try the Toyota route.

Paul

HondaPaul
honda305.com Member

Post by HondaPaul » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:06 pm

Does anyone no where I can get a new set of mirrors for a 1967 scrambler? I bought a pair from Southside Honda on ebay, but when they are mounted on the bike, I cannot pivot the mirror low enough to see directly behind me. I compared them to the originals and it is obvious that the masts are bent at different angles. Southside claims these are the only ones America Honda offers. Does anyone know of a source for direct replacements?

Paul

Hoosier Tom
honda305.com Member

Post by Hoosier Tom » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:03 pm

HondaPaul wrote:Does anyone no where I can get a new set of mirrors for a 1967 scrambler? I bought a pair from Southside Honda on ebay, but when they are mounted on the bike, I cannot pivot the mirror low enough to see directly behind me. I compared them to the originals and it is obvious that the masts are bent at different angles. Southside claims these are the only ones America Honda offers. Does anyone know of a source for direct replacements?

Paul
Those are the only ones available from Honda, as Southside indicated. Some people bend them to render them useable. I have bought 3 sets of the NOS Toyo mirrors from Private-Punchy on eBay several years ago when they were under $50 a pair. Now they are $84 plus $16 shipping, too rich for my blood. What he doesn't disclose is they are both right side mirrors that one of them had been heated and bent to be a left side. All three pair of mine were that way and when I look at his current listing I can see the twist on the one mirror stem. I am attaching photos of what that bend/twist looks like up close compared to the unbent right from his eBay mirrors. They worked ok on my Super Hawks. Sometimes decent, original mirrors pop up on eBay, usually as singles. Someone may be able to give you a source for OE style rectangular mirrors that fit without having to bend.
HT
Attachments
Unbent right
Unbent right
image.jpeg (392.1 KiB) Viewed 3084 times
Bent/twisted right to make a left
Bent/twisted right to make a left
image.jpeg (313.38 KiB) Viewed 3096 times

OldStan
honda305.com Member

Post by OldStan » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:24 pm

HondaPaul wrote:Does anyone no where I can get a new set of mirrors for a 1967 scrambler? I bought a pair from Southside Honda on ebay, but when they are mounted on the bike, I cannot pivot the mirror low enough to see directly behind me. I compared them to the originals and it is obvious that the masts are bent at different angles. Southside claims these are the only ones America Honda offers. Does anyone know of a source for direct replacements?

Paul
I got a set from Thailand on eBay look like stock (rectangular). $14.99 + $14.99 shipping. The quality was pretty good.
63 CA78

OldScrambler
honda305.com Member

Post by OldScrambler » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:04 pm

Do an ebay search for c100 and a dozen other small models of early Hondas..........they use mirrors with extra-long stem-threads to fasten with clamps..............cut the threads to the correct length (file for effect) and install them on the Scramblers..........they fit and can be adjusted so you can SEE behind you. Once installed they appear authentic and they are OEM Honda units.

OldStan
honda305.com Member

Post by OldStan » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:18 am

OldScrambler wrote:Do an ebay search for c100 and a dozen other small models of early Hondas..........they use mirrors with extra-long stem-threads to fasten with clamps..............cut the threads to the correct length (file for effect) and install them on the Scramblers..........they fit and can be adjusted so you can SEE behind you. Once installed they appear authentic and they are OEM Honda units.
The ones I got from Thailand had the correct length threads and adjust perfectly. Price may have gone up a little since I got mine. Look at these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-CB72-CB77 ... Lg&vxp=mtr
63 CA78

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home