Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1961 CB72 Project

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:05 am

LM

There's a really great connection when you handle tools that your Dad worked with. Those tools hold the history and memories.

G
LOUD MOUSE wrote:After dad had a stroke and time came for him and Luciene to move to a smaller house he asked if I wanted his lathe.
My reply was " you bet and I'll take good care of it".
He watched as I used it many times when he visited my shop. .............lm
G-Man wrote:Good make!

I started out borrowing a 1920's IXL (German I think) from my father-in-law. It was big and heavy, sitting on ornate cast-iron legs and also had flat belts. There were no dials on the feed screws. Everything was done by feel and eye. I can still get pretty close without measuring stuff.... :-)

My little Myford was made in the 1960s in Nottingham just 15 miles up the road.

Yep - we're all still learning, and I still get surprised what people did many years ago.

G
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Mine is a BRIDGEPORT made in 1942 for the U.S. Navy.
Dad replaced every part which could/did show ware back in the late 40's.
The thing is heavy as can be on the left front due to it being belt drive.
Dad installed a new leather belt when he did all the other refurb work.
Sewed the ends together!
Oh if only I had acquired all his knowledge. ................lm

G-Man wrote:LM

Great to have a Dad like that!

It's the little tools that you acquire / make over the years that make all the difference. I bought mine from my ex-employer about 25 years ago and there are tools that came with it that I've not used yet. You never know what might come up, though.

G
LOUD MOUSE wrote:I have a lathe my dad gave me and it came with more tools than I'll ever learn how to use.
Does help with clutch and rotor work!. ................lm

G-Man wrote:Steve

Thanks!

You know you want to...... :-)

I've been tied up with work and traveling since mid-August and solving little problems in the workshop is just great therapy for me. Making even small parts yourself is so satisfying.
I just wish I could make as much progress as you have....

G
Steverino wrote:Beautiful work G Man. It's got me thinking about my Father in law's lathe again.
S
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:43 am

Looking at the cam chain tensioner wheel bearing there are some interesting details which need attention on reassembly. It's another clever piece of engineering from Mr Honda's team.

The scoop on the central pivot must face upwards to catch oil flowing back down the tunnel from the cams / rockers. Then the little oil hole in this pin faces downwards to line up with the hole in the inner bush.

That bush is serrated each end so that it stays locked in one place when the assembly is tightened up. That way there is a free path from the oil collected in the scoop straight into the needle roller. Of course that is also a direct path for any dirt or water to get into the bearing....

The two little lugs on the centre-pin engage with this slot on the side plate of the tensioner to keep things aligned.

That slot will need a central hole opening up to clear my new M7 retaining bolt.

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:51 am

Ya.
He was a mechanic for BRANIFF Air Lines in the 30's/40's then became Superintendent of Maintenance and Overhaul (ENGINE Room)
I have all his BONNEY "ZENEL" wrenches and other tools but none are metric. .....................lm

There's a really great connection when you handle tools that your Dad worked with. Those tools hold the history and memories.

G
LOUD MOUSE wrote:After dad had a stroke and time came for him and Luciene to move to a smaller house he asked if I wanted his lathe.
My reply was " you bet and I'll take good care of it".
He watched as I used it many times when he visited my shop. .............lm
G-Man wrote:Good make!

I started out borrowing a 1920's IXL (German I think) from my father-in-law. It was big and heavy, sitting on ornate cast-iron legs and also had flat belts. There were no dials on the feed screws. Everything was done by feel and eye. I can still get pretty close without measuring stuff.... :-)

My little Myford was made in the 1960s in Nottingham just 15 miles up the road.

Yep - we're all still learning, and I still get surprised what people did many years ago.

G
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Mine is a BRIDGEPORT made in 1942 for the U.S. Navy.
Dad replaced every part which could/did show ware back in the late 40's.
The thing is heavy as can be on the left front due to it being belt drive.
Dad installed a new leather belt when he did all the other refurb work.
Sewed the ends together!
Oh if only I had acquired all his knowledge. ................lm

Great to have a Dad like that!

It's the little tools that you acquire / make over the years that make all the difference. I bought mine from my ex-employer about 25 years ago and there are tools that came with it that I've not used yet. You never know what might come up, though.

G
LOUD MOUSE wrote:I have a lathe my dad gave me and it came with more tools than I'll ever learn how to use.
Does help with clutch and rotor work!. ................lm

G-Man wrote:Steve

Thanks!

You know you want to...... :-)

I've been tied up with work and traveling since mid-August and solving little problems in the workshop is just great therapy for me. Making even small parts yourself is so satisfying.
I just wish I could make as much progress as you have....

G
Steverino wrote:Beautiful work G Man. It's got me thinking about my Father in law's lathe again.
S

Hoosier Tom
honda305.com Member

Post by Hoosier Tom » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:15 am

LOUD MOUSE wrote:Ya.
He was a mechanic for BRANIFF Air Lines in the 30's/40's then became Superintendent of Maintenance and Overhaul (ENGINE Room)

I couldn't remember how your dad ran into Amelia Earhart.

HT

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:18 pm

Dad was a HANGER employ (fueled, checked oil levels, washed windows and removed trash from private airplanes) at a private hanger at EL PASO, TEXAS in the 30's. (he worked with another young feller)
One afternoon the owner told dad that "THOSE GAS BARRELS (42 GAL. at that time???) (as I recall 80 octane ???) were to be used on a very special airplane flown by a very special person who will arrive in the afternoon and not for anyone else.
That afternoon a LOCKHEAD high wing single engine VEGA landed and parked near the barrels.
The pilot walked to the office and introduced herself.
Amelia Earhart was that pilot.
She asked who would be fueling her plane and the owner introduced dad and the other feller.
She asked if they knew her type airplane (they replied YES) then told them to be sure to fill all the tanks as she had a long flight the next morning.
Dad and the other feller did as told and waited the next morning to see her arrive.
Dad and his partner were proud fellers and to do anything to her airplane was an honor.
She arrived by cab and went straight to the airplane, stepped up on the right tire and slid back the window and looked inside.
She Walked at a brisk pace with a scowl on her face and entered the office.
"Alright I told you fellers to fill all the tanks and you didn't do it"!!!!
"But mam we did fill all the tanks". (dad)
"Come with me and I'll show you you didn't fill all of them"!!!!
Dad as told steeped up on the right tire , looked inside and THERE WAS THE CROSS OCEAN TANK for her recent record breaking flight from Hawaii to Oakland, California. (usually seats were there).
Embarrassed , dad stepped down and as he turned to her he saw a BIG GRIN followed by Laughter and "I knew ya'd miss it I just knew it"!!!! :-) :-)
After filling THAT TANK she started the engine, climbed out the window and told dad to "Get in and watch the Oil Pressure and Head Temps.
He actually sat in that record breaking Vega as a Very Young Feller.
True story as I heard it many times when he and his cronies would talk airplanes. ..............lm

Hoosier Tom wrote:
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Ya.

I couldn't remember how your dad ran into Amelia Earhart.

HT

AlanW
honda305.com Member

1961 restoration

Post by AlanW » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:26 pm

Great story LM.
Al.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: 1961 restoration

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:36 pm

I hope you enjoyed the message as dad was in an area of time when things could/would happen and as things go on not many stories like this may happen.
Thanks. ..........lm
AlanW wrote:Great story LM.
Al.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home