Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1961 CB72 Project

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
Steverino
honda305.com Member

Post by Steverino » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:41 pm

Beautiful work G Man. It's got me thinking about my Father in law's lathe again.
S

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:48 pm

Steve

Thanks!

You know you want to...... :-)

I've been tied up with work and traveling since mid-August and solving little problems in the workshop is just great therapy for me. Making even small parts yourself is so satisfying.
I just wish I could make as much progress as you have....

G
Steverino wrote:Beautiful work G Man. It's got me thinking about my Father in law's lathe again.
S
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:58 pm

I have a lathe my dad gave me and it came with more tools than I'll ever learn how to use.
Does help with clutch and rotor work!. ................lm

G-Man wrote:Steve

Thanks!

I've been tied up with work and traveling since mid-August and solving little problems in the workshop is just great therapy for me. Making even small parts yourself is so satisfying.

G
Steverino wrote:Beautiful work G Man. It's got me thinking about my Father in law's lathe again.
S

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:51 pm

LM

Great to have a Dad like that!

It's the little tools that you acquire / make over the years that make all the difference. I bought mine from my ex-employer about 25 years ago and there are tools that came with it that I've not used yet. You never know what might come up, though.

G
LOUD MOUSE wrote:I have a lathe my dad gave me and it came with more tools than I'll ever learn how to use.

Thanks!

G
S
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:58 pm

Mine is a BRIDGEPORT made in 1942 for the U.S. Navy.
Dad replaced every part which could/did show ware back in the late 40's.
The thing is heavy as can be on the left front due to it being belt drive.
Dad installed a new leather belt when he did all the other refurb work.
Sewed the ends together!
Oh if only I had acquired all his knowledge. ................lm

G-Man wrote:LM

It's the little tools that you acquire / make over the years that make all the difference. I bought mine from my ex-employer about 25 years ago and there are tools that came with it that I've not used yet. You never know what might come up, though.

G
LOUD MOUSE wrote:I have a lathe my dad gave me and it came with more tools than I'll ever learn how to use.

Thanks!

G
S

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:29 pm

Good make!

I started out borrowing a 1920's IXL (German I think) from my father-in-law. It was big and heavy, sitting on ornate cast-iron legs and also had flat belts. There were no dials on the feed screws. Everything was done by feel and eye. I can still get pretty close without measuring stuff.... :-)

My little Myford was made in the 1960s in Nottingham just 15 miles up the road.

Yep - we're all still learning, and I still get surprised what people did many years ago.

G
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Mine is a BRIDGEPORT made in 1942 for the U.S. Navy.
Sewed the ends together!

G

Thanks!

G
S
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:05 pm

After dad had a stroke and time came for him and Luciene to move to a smaller house he asked if I wanted his lathe.
My reply was " you bet and I'll take good care of it".
He watched as I used it many times when he visited my shop. .............lm
G-Man wrote:Good make!

I started out borrowing a 1920's IXL (German I think) from my father-in-law. It was big and heavy, sitting on ornate cast-iron legs and also had flat belts. There were no dials on the feed screws. Everything was done by feel and eye. I can still get pretty close without measuring stuff.... :-)

My little Myford was made in the 1960s in Nottingham just 15 miles up the road.

Yep - we're all still learning, and I still get surprised what people did many years ago.

G
LOUD MOUSE wrote:Mine is a BRIDGEPORT made in 1942 for the U.S. Navy.
Sewed the ends together!

G

Thanks!

G
S

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home