Admirers

Cost of a good rebuild?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:46 pm

This the date that message was posted.
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2012 11:45 Post subject
Do you think your message is helpful at this date?. ...................lm
rideordie wrote:Congratulations on your find! As stated by a couple other posters, if your paying somebody for the work it can get expensive very quick. I'm currently involved in my first rebuild, and did not have as solid of a foundation as you. I got a roller frame, along with two engines (both stuck), a tank, and some other parts I needed at a swap meet for a fraction of what I normally would pay. Currently, I have everything completely disassembled and am just about ready for paint, and will start reassembling the engine once I get my cylinders bored out. Now, I'm not doing a full restoration because not only am I a college student on a fairly tight budget, but this bike also is not a numbers matching bike so there really is no point. My advice to you is to do the work yourself, save the money, and learn how your machine operates. There is so much information on this forum and so many knowledgeable people involved here that simply stumbling upon this site should boost your confidence in the rebuild. Also, I don't know if anybody else mentioned this but also purchase Bill Silver's Restoration guide that has a ton of info about these beautiful bikes and how to rebuild them. Best of luck!

rideordie
honda305.com Member

Post by rideordie » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:18 am

hahaha oops

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:07 pm

An easy mistake to make. We've all done it.... :-)

G
rideordie wrote:hahaha oops
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

OldScrambler
honda305.com Member

Post by OldScrambler » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:55 pm

If the motor turns and you can get it running before you start the rebuild........GREAT.

If you or the buyer wants something near showroom condition.........the seat-cover and stainless trim, slotted chain-guard, brake-switch, ignition switch/collar, tail light, tank, badges, rubbers, handlebars, mirrors, headlight with trim-ring,............along with repairing the wire-harness and a few dents............will put a good sized hole in your wallet. Any amount of re-chrome will lead to a total job estimated at $1,000 or more and does not include new nipples and spokes and the un-obtainium MUFFLER. I did a similar project several years ago with a paying buyer.........total price was a little north of $7,000 for a '66 big-brake model. I also did a nice repainted rider with re-chromed pipes that I sold for $5,000 after I put more than 2000 miles on it.

The good thing about your project is the relatively low miles and the front fender and stay...........the weak part is that its a 1965 small-brake model.

Again, if the motor turns..............it could be a worthy project.......rider or OEM restoration.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home