Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Gas flow

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
Eck
honda305.com Member

Post by Eck » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:26 pm

Just in case your curious, I removed the inline fuel filter (Honda dealer recommended I try it). It now seems to get enough fuel, now it it running rich, man its always something. I ride it for 10 minutes and suddenly it starts to sputter, when I pull the plugs they are black. Not sure if I should raise the float, it is at the stock recommended height or mess with the needle or...? But anyway thanks for the help, hopefully I'll be on the road by Monday.

Kirk

Hotshoe
honda305.com Member

Post by Hotshoe » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:31 pm

Eck wrote:Just in case your curious, I removed the inline fuel filter (Honda dealer recommended I try it). It now seems to get enough fuel, now it it running rich, man its always something. I ride it for 10 minutes and suddenly it starts to sputter, when I pull the plugs they are black. Not sure if I should raise the float, it is at the stock recommended height or mess with the needle or...? But anyway thanks for the help, hopefully I'll be on the road by Monday.

Kirk
First say to yourself five times, "this is fun, I'm enjoying myself" and think of all the fun it will be to ride once the gremins are rooted out (I'm at that phase myself).
What kind of in-line filter were you using?
Might be a good time to do the LM tune up and make sure you've got the base line adjustments right if you haven't already.
Main jet size, plug heat range and dirty air cleaners come to mind as possible sources of a dry fouled plug.
Whee!!!

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:47 pm

Edited: Not an e-mail hacking, just copied my signature.

Davo
Last edited by davomoto on Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
davomoto
64 CB77
63-7 CB77 Cafe'
67 CL77
64 CL72
66 CL77 big bore flat tracker
Many others!

teazer
honda305.com Member

Post by teazer » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:52 pm

Someone's email was hacked by the look of things. Moist Spam emails from a legit person are because their email lists were lifted by a piece of malware.

Huck
honda305.com Member

Fuel flow issues

Post by Huck » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:16 am

MY 67--CA77 Dream has been sitting for several years. After filing the points really good, the bike started but after 10 minutes the fuel started coming out the overflow tube which means either the needle and seat are crap or the floats are not moving as they should~~~~!!
What if---there seems to be a lot of bowl gasket issues in that they swell badly due to the crappy gas. When swelling they hang up the float--that could be hanging too high, or too low or just preventing movement. This is turn can give the symptoms of a bad needle and seat after they swell. You can try to form the floats inward a bit to allow for that swelling gasket or you can try to get an ethanol friendly gasket--or both.
PS The float valve seat can be polished with the Q-tip toothpaste rub but if you needle has any ridge on the V, it needs replacement.
Huck

paperslammer
honda305.com Member

Gas Not Flowing into Carburetor Bowl

Post by paperslammer » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:32 pm

Hey everyone!

I recently notice something new on my CA77 64 Dream - when I switched the petcock lever from "off" to "on" my little inline filter didn't fill all the way up with gas.

I found that that when riding, the bike would start to backfire if I was in too low a gear and tried to accelerate. And it would also die it I let it idle. So it seems like with the engine revving (and sucking gas from the gas tank) the bike was fine - otherwise not enough gas was getting to the engine.

I read through this thread and got a few ideas on what to check.

1) Is the gas gap clogged? The gas cap looks good, I can blow through the hole in the middle and air comes out of each smaller hole on the sides.

2) Is the inline gas filter clogged? - If I remove the rubber tubing from the barbed fitting on the carburetor, gas flows freely through the inline gas filter and out of the rubber tubing.

3) Are the Jets clogged? The jets look good

I also took off the floats and the needle valve and everything looks clean.

Could someone please explain where exactly "valve seat" is and the "sides of the valve" the brewksy mentioned? A picture would help greatly! I might try polishing those...

Any other suggestions before I re-assemble the carburetor?

Thanks!
Last edited by paperslammer on Wed May 16, 2018 1:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
'64 CA77 305 Dream

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Re: Gas Not Flowing into Carburetor Bowl

Post by G-Man » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:02 am

Paperslammer

The float valve seat is inside the brass part of the float needle underneath your float.

Here is an example of a dismantled one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Float-needle- ... 25aceb5659

The taper on the 'needle' seats in the brass to form the valve. If you hold the carb the right way up and move the float up and down the needle valve should drop under its own weight.

Have you checked the flow from your petcock with the pipe removed from teh carb? The filter or ports in teh petcock may be blocked.

Also check that th efloat is not fouling on the float bowl gasket. Sometimes the gaskets swell up.

G

paperslammer wrote:Hey everyone!

I recently notice something new on my CA77 64 Dream - when I switched the petcock lever from "off" to "on" my little inline filter didn't fill all the way up with gas.

I found that that when riding, the bike would start to backfire if I was in too low a gear and tried to accelerate. And it would also die it I let it idle. So it seems like with the engine revving (and sucking gas from the gas tank) the bike was fine - otherwise not enough gas was getting to the engine.

I read through this thread and got a few ideas on what to check.

1) Is the gas gap clogged? The gas cap looks good, I can blow through the hole in the middle and air comes out of each smaller hole on the sides.

2) Is the inline gas filter clogged? - If I remove the rubber tubing from the barbed fitting on the carburetor, gas flows freely through the inline gas filter and out of the rubber tubing.

3) Are the Jets clogged? The jets look good

I also took off the floats and the needle valve and everything looks clean.

Could someone please explain where exactly "valve seat" is and the "sides of the valve" the brewksy mentioned? A picture would help greatly! I might try polishing those...

Any other suggestions before I re-assemble the carburetor?

Thanks!
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home