Admirers

Rebuilt Stock Petcock 6 months is dripping on stop 1965 CA77

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
Elvis
honda305.com Member

re crazy womams alternate petcock

Post by Elvis » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:55 pm

CW
Thanks for the reply, go you have one of the conversion plate and lever type kit? Do you like it, other than being "wrong"? Where did you get the poor qual rubber and the replacement?

If I find a good rubber kit I'll post info. I'd like to keep the original petcock, but the OEM rebuild kit apparently swelled as yours did and it is much harder to push open and closed than I remember it being in 1964.

I wonder if it it's the new gas?

Blaine

Hahnda
honda305.com Member

Post by Hahnda » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:16 am

I sell rebuild kits for the CA petcock as well. They are the same kits as Classic Honda Restoration and the same ones that Retro Bikes in WA used to sell. These are not an NOS kit but an aftermarket kit. They come with both a cork and a rubber flat disk seal. I personally like the cork one better than the rubber. The other thing is that you really don't want to use gas that has ethanol in it. Gas with ethanol is much harder on rubber parts than straight gasoline.

OldStan
honda305.com Member

Post by OldStan » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:33 pm

I used the Retro bike kit with no problem. Unfortunately here in California we have no choice when it comes to using gas with ethanol unless you have a source for aviation gas ( and are willing to pay the price).

You might pull the bowl off the valve assembly and check for leaks around the mounting screws- I had that problem on my initial installation, put some fuel proof sealer on the washers and no problem since.
63 CA78

Elvis
honda305.com Member

no leaks around the screws

Post by Elvis » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:42 pm

I'm s little confused, if it were the screws leaking. Wouldn't it leak from the petcock body?

How long have you had your rebuild in service? Mine didn't leak for six months.

Mine is leaking out the fuel line nipple slow drip with petcock closed tight.

I did talk to Nick at Ohio cycle and he says the.parts kit he sold me is genuine Honda current manufacture not NOS, his kit had the cork (he says. I can't remember) he thinks it's the gas but was surprised at the problem.

I only use chevron premium and don't think.it contains ethanol on Santa Cruz area.

All gas in California is crap. Ethanol only makes it worse I add marvel mystery oil. Lead substitute, and Startron enzyme fuel stabilizer and ethanol digestive aid.

OldStan
honda305.com Member

Post by OldStan » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:01 pm

On the CA77 the heads of the mounting screws are inside the bowl, go thru holes in the body casting into the tank. Any fuel the comes by the threads, then the washers and heads, can make it into the bowl and would come out the nipple. The valve being closed wouldn't stop leak there.

Mines been on there 3+ years and I only use regular gas, no additives.

I doubt chevron premium is ethanol free anywhere in California, or any other gas that is legal for highway vehicles, thanks to the California Air Resources Board. I was in Oregon lately and found a few stations there that had ethanol free fuel at about $5 a gal, with ethanol free being the selling point.
63 CA78

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home