Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Rebuilt Stock Petcock 6 months is dripping on stop 1965 CA77

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
Elvis
honda305.com Member

Rebuilt Stock Petcock 6 months is dripping on stop 1965 CA77

Post by Elvis » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:56 pm

I used one of the good quality rebuilt kits for the Dream STOCK petcock, think it was Tim McDowell, not sure and not complaining about the quality of the kit. Anyway it was originally fine, now 6 months later I noticed a gas smell in garage, followed up and pulled the petcock to carb fuel line. With the petcock completely closed it is a slow drip....drip...

I'm not sure why it is leaking, dripping from the carb, ( the bottom of the carb is wet ) even if the petcock is bad, shouldn't the (also rebuilt) carb needle valve or similar prevent the drips?

And finally, has anyone else had a problem with the rebuild Petcock kit not holding fuel after a few months?

thanks, Blaine Santa Cruz 65 Survivor 305 Dream

G3
honda305.com Member

Leaking pet cock

Post by G3 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:14 pm

Hey Blaine
Yes I've had the same issue on my 66CL, but only with NOS stuff from Ohio Cycle. My carbs would over flow just like yours. New fuel tap packing, lever etc. still the overflow. Checked float tangs, needles, all I could do, I did. Still the overnight drip. Out of frustration I simply added two bull nuts I call them, inline shut off valves (the smallest brass ones I could find) and inserted them in the most convenient, least viewable location. No more drip.
Maybe not your idea of "fixin' " the issue, but for me it did, and now it's just "part of the old gal".

DianneB
honda305.com Member

Post by DianneB » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:18 pm

I had problems with the petcock replacement parts from another source - the rubber was of poor quality and swelled in contact with gasoline. When it swelled, I couldn't turn mine ON!

I now have a completely different after-market valve in there until I can find yet another rubber that DOESN'T swell.

I too have had problems with the float needle not sealing well even after rebuilding the carb so I make it a point to always turn the fuel off at the petcock.

Elvis
honda305.com Member

petcock WAS from ohio cycle $57.00

Post by Elvis » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:41 pm

3G
Thanks for the speedy reply. I double dug through my receipts and mine was from ohio cycle also. Paid$57 for it so it probably was NOS. No complaint at all with Ohio cycle, rebuild kit was high quality OEM looking.

I'm thinking maybe the old rubber isn't compatible with the new crappy gas?

is the petcock on your scrambler the funny pot shaped one with the plastic thumb like the dream or the more common lever type like on my 69 CL350 hi pipe scrambler?

I've only got one carb and the outlet hose has a filter I added so no room for a bull nut or I'd be looking for one.

I'd like to keep the original petcock, but not if it leaks.

I'm still not sure why the carb needle valve isn't holding

Thanks Blaine

Elvis
honda305.com Member

petcock WAS from ohio cycle $57.00

Post by Elvis » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:26 pm

3G
Thanks for the speedy reply. I double dug through my receipts and mine was from ohio cycle also. Paid$57 for it so it probably was NOS. No complaint at all with Ohio cycle, rebuild kit was high quality OEM looking.

I'm thinking maybe the old rubber isn't compatible with the new crappy gas?

is the petcock on your scrambler the funny pot shaped one with the plastic thumb like the dream or the more common lever type like on my 69 CL350 hi pipe scrambler?

I've only got one carb and the outlet hose has a filter I added so no room for a bull nut or I'd be looking for one.

I'd like to keep the original petcock, but not if it leaks.

I'm still not sure why the carb needle valve isn't holding

Thanks Blaine

G3
honda305.com Member

Post by G3 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:40 pm

It's the lever type all aluminum looking material. Like yourself, I've never had an issue with Nicks stuff, but leaking fuel and vapors in an enclosed area was freaking me out! Oh- me the bad boy never replaced the inline teepee looking gas filters either, and to date have never had a restriction in fuel delivery. Maybe an extended fuel line length on one side to allow for the bull nut? I think it's only about an 1-1/4" long.
Dianne-
Interesting point about the rubber packing swelling excessively. I wonder, is it supposed to just swell a small amount to aid in sealing?, I mean if the packing material is "fresh". Mine didn't and neither did Blaines. Maybe "SomewhatLikeNewOldStock" doesn't cut it after what, 49 years!

Elvis
honda305.com Member

re crazy womams alternate petcock

Post by Elvis » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:54 pm

CW
Thanks for the reply, go you have one of the conversion plate and lever type kit? Do you like it, other than being "wrong"? Where did you get the poor qual rubber and the replacement?

If I find a good rubber kit I'll post info. I'd like to keep the original petcock, but the OEM rebuild kit apparently swelled as yours did and it is much harder to push open and closed than I remember it being in 1964.

I wonder if it it's the new gas?

Blaine

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home