Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1964 CA77 Restoration

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:50 pm

Thanks for that info, G. Wish that I had room for a bead blaster, but my small work space just won't allow it.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:08 am

Decided to re-plate the lock washing strips.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (105.76 KiB) Viewed 810 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (77.4 KiB) Viewed 810 times

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:57 am

Finished preparing the rear wheel yesterday. The new brake shoes were a bit more difficult than the front. I thought I'd never get those springs back on.

I started scrounging through my dwindling parts bin for bits to plate while I'm still set up for it. I stripped the horn mount and hardware, as well as the rear brake stay, which was really in good shape. As it is with most things, the set up was the most time consuming because I had to create a temporary long plating tank out of a drawer organizer. I plated it this morning. Looks okay.

In other news, I'm officially looking for a Super Hawk. This time around, I don't want another basket case, but a decent runner that I can update/restore and still ride.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (84.94 KiB) Viewed 777 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (87.29 KiB) Viewed 777 times

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:53 am

Seadog

That's a really nice setup for plating. I need to make the effort and get started.

Good luck with the SuperHawk hunt.

G
Seadog wrote:Finished preparing the rear wheel yesterday. The new brake shoes were a bit more difficult than the front. I thought I'd never get those springs back on.

I started scrounging through my dwindling parts bin for bits to plate while I'm still set up for it. I stripped the horn mount and hardware, as well as the rear brake stay, which was really in good shape. As it is with most things, the set up was the most time consuming because I had to create a temporary long plating tank out of a drawer organizer. I plated it this morning. Looks okay.

In other news, I'm officially looking for a Super Hawk. This time around, I don't want another basket case, but a decent runner that I can update/restore and still ride.
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:39 pm

G-Man wrote:Seadog

That's a really nice setup for plating. I need to make the effort and get started.

Good luck with the SuperHawk hunt.

G
Thanks, G. The plating setup changes with need. You really should try it. It's kind of like that old song "Love Potion #9". You'll start plating everything in sight. It's easy and very satisfying when it comes out right, but it's also very fussy when it comes to cleanliness, so it's time consuming.

I'll report on any SuperHawks that come my way. I have an eye on two, but they might turn out to be too pricey.

Steverino
honda305.com Member

Post by Steverino » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:54 pm

Thanks Seadog for the information and inspiration on plating. I'm am planning on setting up a little station in my shop as soon as I get my media blasting project done.
Steve

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:20 pm

Steverino wrote:Thanks Seadog for the information and inspiration on plating. I'm am planning on setting up a little station in my shop as soon as I get my media blasting project done.
Steve
Go for it, Steve. Do you plan to mix your own electrolyte or buy it? I've done both and both have their advantages and disadvantages.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home