honda305.com Forum

Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Honda CA77 Carburetor Screws Adjustment.

mcmig
honda305.com Member

Honda CA77 Carburetor Screws Adjustment.

Post by mcmig » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:33 am

Hi,

I have just finished my restoration of my 1967 Honda CA77, and I am having carbs issues, there was a new kit put in it. The bike doesn't want to run at idle, only runs with a bit of choke on.

I did a lot of search on this site, however I cannot find a clear answer. Can someone tell me what is the setting for the right screw on the carburetor ? the one that is furthest from the engine cylinders. It is inline with the Carb slide.

I understand that I am supposed to play with the screw that is closest to the cylinders to set the idle, like turning it in completely in and then turn it counter clock wise 1/4 at a time until the correct settings.

Can someone please clarify the screw settings for me? I swear I did a lot of search on this site before asking.

Thank you

lrutt
honda305.com Member

Post by lrutt » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:30 am

There are 2 screws. Idle mix and idle speed. First get the idle speed set so it will at least stay running without choke.

then adjust the idle mix (low speed) until you get fastest idle speed. It should pick up or slow down as you slowly turn it. Once you've adjusted for max speed, adjust your idle speed screw to get the idle RPMs back down where they should be.

Make sure engine is up to temp before you do this.

mcmig
honda305.com Member

Post by mcmig » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:33 am

lrutt wrote:There are 2 screws. Idle mix and idle speed. First get the idle speed set so it will at least stay running without choke.

then adjust the idle mix (low speed) until you get fastest idle speed. It should pick up or slow down as you slowly turn it. Once you've adjusted for max speed, adjust your idle speed screw to get the idle RPMs back down where they should be.

Which one is which? Left or right one?

lrutt
honda305.com Member

Post by lrutt » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:47 am

idle speed will be directly inline with the slide. It pushes against a ramp machined into the slide to raise and lower it slightly to control the slide height for idle speed.

There are a lot of free downloads of shop manuals for the dream on the net. You should get one.

I have owners, shop, and parts list, all free, all downloaded from the net, all printed out and in a binder on a shelf in my shop. Along with manuals for my other 25 bikes.

google fu is your friend.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:12 am

The screw that is at an angle (closest to the head) needs to be 1 1/4 turns out from bottom.
The other is the Slide Screw and raises the slide for idle speed.
Turn it in enough to get the speed you want then turn the other in or out 1/8 turn for best idle. .............lm

mcmig wrote:
lrutt wrote:There are 2 screws. Idle mix and idle speed. First get the idle speed set so it will at least stay running without choke.

Which one is which? Left or right one?

mcmig
honda305.com Member

Post by mcmig » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:43 pm

LOUD MOUSE wrote:The screw that is at an angle (closest to the head) needs to be 1 1/4 turns out from bottom.
The other is the Slide Screw and raises the slide for idle speed.
Turn it in enough to get the speed you want then turn the other in or out 1/8 turn for best idle. .............lm

mcmig wrote:

Thank you LOUD MOUSE, the "Explain Like I am five" answer I was looking for. BTW I have all the manual, however, the instructions are not clear or practical for an Hobbyist like me, and some say there is an error in the manuals with the screws reversed, ETC. I just wanted a simple answer and I got it. Thank you all for you for helping me out.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home