Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1964 CA77 Restoration

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Tue May 12, 2015 1:01 pm

Some small parts have arrived. Nothing of great interest. The missing 6mm "special" crankcase nut, an aluminum starter motor cover for the left side and some shock absorber seals. Expected soon are a replacement handlebar (hopefully unbent) and some NOS steel shock upper covers.

I disassembled the shock absorbers this morning and found both shafts to be slightly bent. I imagine some PO(s) bottomed out hard. Don't know what I'll do about that, since any replacements that I buy could very likely also be bent and I'm a bit weary of buying replacements that turn out to be worse that the part I'm trying to replace. The existing seals were holding, but the oil was black. I poured it into a container, but have yet to accurately measure it for replacement. I'll just clean the parts up for now, loosely assemble and bag. The lower covers need to be re-chromed before I can do much else.

Just a slow day and any real progress seems elusive.

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Tue May 12, 2015 1:38 pm

Seadog

If you are careful you can straighten out those damper rods with three short brass bars (or rollers) and put the whole assembly in the vise. You need three hands (and your knee) but it can be done. Just try a little squeeze then take the rod and roll it on a flat surface. You will soon learn where the bend is and what needs doing. I did a CL72 damper rod recently and got it pretty much perfect.

The seals are available on eBay if you need them, under a C95 part, I think.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-C92-C95-C ... 1170145390

You may have to check the diameters match your shocks but they come up from time to time.

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Tue May 12, 2015 2:59 pm

Thanks, G-Man. I did buy those seals a couple of weeks ago and just received them, so I'm good with that. It took me a bit of thinking about your straightening method, but unless I'm mistaken, you mean to lay the damper rod perpendicularly across the three brass rods, roll it to find the high spot, then take all four rods to a vice to pinch. Three hands and a knee might not be enough, but I can give it a try.
G-Man wrote:Seadog

If you are careful you can straighten out those damper rods with three short brass bars (or rollers) and put the whole assembly in the vise. You need three hands (and your knee) but it can be done. Just try a little squeeze then take the rod and roll it on a flat surface. You will soon learn where the bend is and what needs doing. I did a CL72 damper rod recently and got it pretty much perfect.

You may have to check the diameters match your shocks but they come up from time to time.

G

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Tue May 12, 2015 4:02 pm

Seadog

Sorry didn't make that very clear. In the vise, two rods go on one side of the damper rod and one on the other side at the high point of the bend. Close the vise up to straighten the rod using 'three point bending'. The three rods allow you to put the pressure in exactly the right place.

G
Seadog wrote:Thanks, G-Man. I did buy those seals a couple of weeks ago and just received them, so I'm good with that. It took me a bit of thinking about your straightening method, but unless I'm mistaken, you mean to lay the damper rod perpendicularly across the three brass rods, roll it to find the high spot, then take all four rods to a vice to pinch. Three hands and a knee might not be enough, but I can give it a try.

G
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Tue May 12, 2015 4:29 pm

G,

Thanks for the clarification. I'll give it a try.

You engineers.... ;-)

Sorry didn't make that very clear. In the vise, two rods go on one side of the damper rod and one on the other side at the high point of the bend. Close the vise up to straighten the rod using 'three point bending'. The three rods allow you to put the pressure in exactly the right place.

G

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Thu May 14, 2015 2:27 pm

More small parts arrived today. I was very pleased to see that the used handlebar I ordered was in pretty good shape and won't need to be re-chromed right away. It came with both grips, wiring, switches, throttle hardware and bits and pieces of bark, dirt and flotsam from something that had been living inside. I was able to salvage everything - less the junk.

NOS steel shock covers also arrived, but too late for painting this round because the painter called today and I am to pick up the frame, swing arm and headlight housing tomorrow. The other parts - tank, side covers, chain case and fenders - are in final prime and will be painted shortly.

Still haven't tried to straighten the shock damper rods. I'll need some more brass rod and I think I'll need a larger diameter.

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Thu May 14, 2015 5:33 pm

I thought a picture might be in order for the damper rod straightening. The two rods at the bottom can be adjusted inwards or outwards to put th ebending effort in just the right place...

G

Seadog wrote: Still haven't tried to straighten the shock damper rods. I'll need some more brass rod and I think I'll need a larger diameter.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-05-14 at 18.27.07.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-14 at 18.27.07.png (47.83 KiB) Viewed 802 times
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home