Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1964 CA77 Restoration

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
Steverino
honda305.com Member

Post by Steverino » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:06 am

I'm looking forward to seeing your wheel sets when they arrive. These are the largest pieces I am aware of to make such a journey.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:10 pm

Steverino wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing your wheel sets when they arrive. These are the largest pieces I am aware of to make such a journey.
I'm looking forward to it also, but it's going to be a long wait. I'll post photos when they finally get here. One disappointment already - Central Wheel could not powder coat the central hub area where there's normally gray paint. They couldn't mask it off. I told them to polish them.

The folks at Central Wheel tell me that they ship to the U.S. "every day". Hopefully when they ship my wheels they won't take as long in U.S. customs as they did in the U.K. One week. I suppose they had to inspect them. I hope they were disappointed.
Last edited by Seadog on Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:16 pm

Worked on stripping the paint from the frame for the past couple of days. Finally finished the outside today. Lots of grinding to do though and the back fender is bent and cracked under the license plate frame. No other bad dents, but lots of rust in the side cover areas - especially the battery side. I really want the frame stripped, repaired and painted in advance of receiving my wheels.
Attachments
A bit of damage
A bit of damage
IMG_0629.JPG (150.31 KiB) Viewed 2813 times
Bare naked
Bare naked
IMG_0626.JPG (167.02 KiB) Viewed 2813 times

hotrodhendrix
honda305.com Member

Post by hotrodhendrix » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:37 am

Cool project. What color is it gonna be?

~James

deafanddiabetic
honda305.com Member

Post by deafanddiabetic » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:02 am

Seadog wrote:Worked on stripping the paint from the frame for the past couple of days. Finally finished the outside today. Lots of grinding to do though and the back fender is bent and cracked under the license plate frame. No other bad dents, but lots of rust in the side cover areas - especially the battery side. I really want the frame stripped, repaired and painted in advance of receiving my wheels.
After stripping my frame I found those same license plate section cracks, and my rear fender was also totally separated up both sides near the shock mounts, probably from someone sitting too far back on the bench seat and going over a rough bump. Thankfully it was still attached across the top and a little welding and grinding smoothed out all the issues for me.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:14 pm

hotrodhendrix wrote:Cool project. What color is it gonna be?

~James
I've thought a lot about the color and while I'd like blue - I think LOUDMOUSE calls it "Future Farmers of America Blue" - I think I'm going to stay with black. This is not going to be a showpiece, but a regular rider and black will be easier to touch-up.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:23 pm

deafanddiabetic wrote: After stripping my frame I found those same license plate section cracks, and my rear fender was also totally separated up both sides near the shock mounts, probably from someone sitting too far back on the bench seat and going over a rough bump. Thankfully it was still attached across the top and a little welding and grinding smoothed out all the issues for me.
I've spend days going from one auto body shop to another, trying to get the body work done. I found that not many were interested in the work, although they've all been intrigued by the bike. Yesterday I found two places that will do the work, but want to have it media blasted before they'll take it. None of them have the capability of blasting something as large as the frame.

I've spent even more time trying to find a media blaster to do that work. I finally found one and delivered it today. 1 hour away from my home each way. They don't do round frame bikes, but, again, they were intrigued by the sheet metal frame and agreed to do it and the swing arm for $100. I left it there and hope they get to it soon. It will have to be primed immediately. As an aside, the owner told me he had a 1974 CB360 that had been sitting in his garage since 1975. He had no plan to ever ride it again. Unfortunately, he said he'd stored some pool chemicals on top of it and it was pretty rusty. Very sad.

More as it develops.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home