□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

67 CL77, First start up, but problems

ugmold
honda305.com Member

Post by ugmold » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:49 pm

Thanks Mike, that plug is sparking fine, I usually swap the plugs every time I check them.

Geeky160
honda305.com Member

Post by Geeky160 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:28 pm

Is it possible that you are seeing spark with the plug out but not enough to actually fire? If you haven't already you could freshen the plug wires by trimming the ends and screwing them back together. Make sure you have enough spare wire first though. Last year I bought a single auto plug wire that was long enough for both and replaced them and the caps.
'67 CL77 (337, gears X'd)
'65 CB160

ugmold
honda305.com Member

Post by ugmold » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:29 am

The spark looks as good as the right side that is firing. I'm wondering why fuel is coming out the exhaust port and coating the outside of the left exhaust pipe? Why doesn't it just go into the pipe? Clogged pipe? When I tap the pipe it sounds the same as the right.

Today I think I will swap carbs and see what happens.

-Forrest

ugmold
honda305.com Member

Post by ugmold » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:54 am

Update.
Swapped carbs, but had to use the same sliders/top cap. I am happy to report the Left side was the working cylinder this time. Started on 1st kick. The idle started to rise, then rise a more and then it just died out. I am only filling about a foot of gas hose on each carb, so the left one probably ran out of gas.

I have cleaned both carbs a couple of times, carb cleaner, blowing out passage ways with compressed air. Initially when I got the bike, the carbs looked fairly clean. What would make this carb not function properly?

Pretty happy the Left Cylinder is ok.

-Forrest

R100
honda305.com Member

Post by R100 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:09 am

Possibly the float is hanging up against something and not able to close the needle valve.
I have had that happen.

Perhaps the needle valve and seat don't seal properly.
With the float bowl off, turn the petcock on and see if lifting the float shuts off the gas flow as it should.

ugmold
honda305.com Member

Post by ugmold » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:23 pm

Success! Pulled the carbs again, wanted to look at the float height, they both looked the same, so if the Right one was ok, I'll assume the Left is ok. (This is after taking a search for float height and feeling a bit overwhelmed)

I also noticed the slide spring and clip on the left one was a bit f'd up, most likely from not checking it. Carbs back on, correct sides, and left cylinder only working. Checked spark, Right not sparking, set of new plugs and we have success, sounds good, I have the the idle screws all the way out and it idles nice and low and smooth.

I am going to refine it now and go back to Ed's recipe.
The floats occasionally seem to hang up, I can't see a reason why, all clean, not very bent up?

Thanks for chiming in, it helped to narrow things down.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home