Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Restoration Blog: CB77 No. 1039XX

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
4shorts
honda305.com Member

Post by 4shorts » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:17 pm

Hey Bob great pictures! These bikes sure have allot of stuff to take care of when rebuilding for sure. Each and every part needs something done but take it one part at a time and you'll catch up. When you get that ultrasonic cleaner post some pics for us. I'm real interested in how that works out. What color you painting the beast? Keep posting. Paul

FiremanBob
honda305.com Member

Post by FiremanBob » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:14 pm

Hard to believe it's been three weeks since I got the camera and have done so little work on the bike. Work, kids, and some repair work on the V65 have cut into my restoration time.

I did get an ultrasonic cleaner last week. It got rid of dirt and grease ok but did nothing on the carboned pistons. It's a little small for the head and cylinder, so I will probably re-sell it and stick to solvent, detergent/hot water, and long brushes for the parts cleaning. The pistons are cleaning up ok soaking Berrymans and scrubbed with a brass brush.

I'm looking for a good machine shop for testing and correcting any internal issues with the motor such as surface flatness, crank and cam bearing alignment, and crankshaft balance. I figure anything within reason that will make it run smoother and cleaner will be worthwhile. Haven't taken the head apart yet but I imagine the intake and exhaust ports could use some smoothing. There's a sportbike customizer called Adrenaline Cycle in the next town. Although they make hopped-up Hayabusas and the like, they may take an interest in my project and offer some help or referrals.

Scored a dent-free headlight bucket, front forks/steering stem, and some red rear cushion covers on Ebay in the past couple of weeks. So the bike will be painted red, as I had originally hoped. I will have extra forks, a later-model fork top bridge, a set of rear cushions with black covers, and a low-rise handlebar with brake and clutch levers available for sale once I get those parts reconditioned. Have ordered new rings and oil seals from Ohio Cycle.

One part I do need and haven't found yet is an oil filter cover - the round cover that screws into the clutch cover. Anyone?

I hope to have made a lot more progress over the next two weeks. Ideally I'd like to begin reassembling the engine over the New Year holiday.

Watchwait
honda305.com Member

Post by Watchwait » Mon May 14, 2007 2:25 pm

Bob,

Just curious...what is the status of your mufflers? Are they good as-is, need to be repaired or replaced? I am busy researching alternartives myself. I'm even considering buying tooling to reproduce these early mufflers at a reasonable cost if there would be enough market to do so!

FiremanBob
honda305.com Member

Post by FiremanBob » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:52 pm

They don't have dents, but need re-chroming. I understand that this is a problem for the chromer, so I'm researching ways to get rid of all the carbon, and prove it's gone, to ease his mind and lower the cost.

FiremanBob
honda305.com Member

Post by FiremanBob » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:10 am

After a summer spent on less pleasant priorities, like trying to make $$ and rebuilding the heads on my Subaru, I'm back at the project.

Currently stumped: I can only get the cases about 2cm apart and then they hang up on something that feels pretty solid. I've looked inside with a lamp and can't see anything obvious. Could someone advise on how to solve this problem?

I don't know if it's related, but I also can't get the oil pump assembly out of the bottom. It's loose and budges a few mm but that's all.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:28 pm

Did ya get the engine apart?. .............lm

FiremanBob wrote:After a summer spent on less pleasant priorities, like trying to make $$ and rebuilding the heads on my Subaru, I'm back at the project.

Currently stumped: I can only get the cases about 2cm apart and then they hang up on something that feels pretty solid. I've looked inside with a lamp and can't see anything obvious. Could someone advise on how to solve this problem?

I don't know if it's related, but I also can't get the oil pump assembly out of the bottom. It's loose and budges a few mm but that's all.

FiremanBob
honda305.com Member

Post by FiremanBob » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:52 pm

Nope, still stuck. It feels like it's something near the middle (front-to-back) of the engine as the pistons/crank are free and the gears seem to be free as well. Got any ideas?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home