Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Steverino's CB77

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:59 am

Steverino

The pics show your motor as very clean already. The picture of the valve lash adjuster looks like the adjuster has never been touched. You may be very lucky with this one. Does it turn over?

I stripped my motor down as I always do, in order to start with a known quantity. Everything comes apart for inspection and cleaning. I am in no rush and like to get in the heads of the people who designed these things.

Basket cases are all we can get here and when the history is unknown it is just nice to discover all the horrors before it gets expensive.

Enjoy your latest resto. If you do decide to strip the engine, it will be very interesting to see what's inside.

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Steverino
honda305.com Member

Post by Steverino » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:29 am

Thanks G-Man
Yes, the motor turns over just fine. I read either on the forum or Silvers blog that the kick starter cover can be cracked if I'm not careful. It looks like Honda could of put a little more reinforcement around the KS shaft. The backside collects road grime and spatter cast by the chain. I wonder if road salt is the reason some covers break.
I rebuilt the petcock today. It had a little oxidation in it and the rubber pieces were hard as rocks so I cleaned it up and replaced them.
Every barn find bike I've worked on has been left with gas in it. When I got this bike one of the first things I checked was the tank and it was spotless inside. I also noticed the fuel lines had been pulled off the carbs so the tank and petcock could drain completely. I was a little worried that the original owner had stopped at that and the carbs had been left with gas in them but today I pulled the carbs and got a pleasant surprise. He had the foresight to run them dry. I noticed on this bike the float valve needle is one piece. the Scramblers float valve needle had the outer body with a spring loaded tip.
ImageCAM01371 by stevesteverinomeister, on Flickr
ImageCAM01375 by stevesteverinomeister, on Flickr
Last edited by Steverino on Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:08 am

Steverino

Your good luck continues! None of the bikes / carbs I have every worked on have been so thoughtfully laid up. I don't recall seeing a solid float needle for a long time if ever. Som of mine have felt solid but were just gummed up.

It's funny how different climates affect different things. Rubber survives perfectly over here but the demon rust gets to things that have been forgotten in leaky sheds. I'm amazed how tires from US imported projects get so hard that you have to cut them off.

Those brass parts look like new. Whatever you paid for this bike you got a bargain!

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Hoosier Tom
honda305.com Member

Post by Hoosier Tom » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:44 pm

I have seen the solid float needles with the viton coated tips in aftermarket rebuild kits.

HT

Steverino
honda305.com Member

Post by Steverino » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:18 am

Thanks Tom. I will try to find some oem pieces.
When I finished Jimmy's Scrambler I began inspecting this bike to see how to go about a proper restoration. Underneath the 30 years of barn patina lies a very nice bike. The odo reads about 5300 miles and both cylinders produce 150 psi. The motor internals I've inspected show little wear as far as I can tell, which is a testimony to regular oil changes. The original owner was a mechanical engineer. When he bought it new he was already middle aged which probably has something to do with it's mechanical condition. After applying weekly doses of marvel mystery oil to the top end and going through the entire fuel system I started it up last night. I wanted to hear it run and check for any bad sounds.
Here is a video. It's pretty shaky but I was concentrating on the motor and not my camera/phone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g29gNS6g6yw
As you can probably tell from the video, the motor started right up on the left cylinder but was very sporadic on the right side. My first thought was I had fouled a plug with all the marvel mystery oil I had applied to the top end. When I got back over to the right side and checked that carb the slide was nearly fully closed. After I got a little fuel going on that side it smoothed out about as good as it was going to without air filters and tubes.
When I raised the rpm a little I noticed I the right carb slide was not dropping back all the way down. I found a resistance in the throttle cable on the right side below the branch. It was at this point I decided the motor had proven itself and it was time to shut her down. I am not going to disassemble the motor but I will do a full tune and careful detail to factory appearance. The rest of the bike will come completely apart for a full restoration.

Steverino
honda305.com Member

Ultrasonic Cleaning, Gloss Question and Progress

Post by Steverino » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Hi Everyone.
I've got to get an ultrasonic cleaner. I've been a little concerned about all the sanding of aluminum I've been doing. I try not to breath the dust. I am going to go with what you guys recommend, like the one G-Man has.
After spending so much time on Jimmy's bike, I am happy to be working on mine now. Jimmy asked me to store his Scrambler until he has a dry place to keep it so I've had lots of fun taking it out for a nice fast and loud (no snuffs) ride about once a week. I had forgot how much fun a 305 Scrambler is to ride. I used to ride my buddy Ralphies back in the early 70's, seems like yesterday.
I am planning on going with a full gloss black powder coat on the frame. Is this correct or should it be a semi gloss?
I removed the motor today, here is a pic
ImageCAM01432 (1) by stevesteverinomeister, on Flickr
here is a pic from the right side right before I dropped the motor
ImageCAM01422 (2) by stevesteverinomeister, on Flickr
and here is a pic of the CB160 I was working on when I got the Super Hawk, I am going to pick up on it again when I get the CB77 caught up to this point then I will finish both of them together.
ImageCB160 back on track by stevesteverinomeister, on Flickr

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Ultrasonic Cleaning, Gloss Question and Progress

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:28 am

Gloss. .........lm
Steverino wrote:Hi Everyone.
I've got to get an ultrasonic cleaner. I've been a little concerned about all the sanding of aluminum I've been doing. I try not to breath the dust. I am going to go with what you guys recommend, like the one G-Man has.
After spending so much time on Jimmy's bike, I am happy to be working on mine now. Jimmy asked me to store his Scrambler until he has a dry place to keep it so I've had lots of fun taking it out for a nice fast and loud (no snuffs) ride about once a week. I had forgot how much fun a 305 Scrambler is to ride. I used to ride my buddy Ralphies back in the early 70's, seems like yesterday.
I am planning on going with a full gloss black powder coat on the frame. Is this correct or should it be a semi gloss?
I removed the motor today, here is a pic
ImageCAM01432 (1) by stevesteverinomeister, on Flickr
here is a pic from the right side right before I dropped the motor
ImageCAM01422 (2) by stevesteverinomeister, on Flickr
and here is a pic of the CB160 I was working on when I got the Super Hawk, I am going to pick up on it again when I get the CB77 caught up to this point then I will finish both of them together.
ImageCB160 back on track by stevesteverinomeister, on Flickr

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home