Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Honda C200

Who said it was only about Motorcycles? What else do you collect, restore, enjoy... ?
4shorts
honda305.com Member

Post by 4shorts » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:42 pm

Thanks guys for the compliments but your going to give me some kind of complex saying that stuff :) Hey maybe if OCC is hiring I can use your names as a reference!

Well I got out in the shop at 7:00 this morning. I hate it when I sleep in, feels like the day is wasted. Anyway the assembly is started. The forks are on. Front fender is fitted with that wonderful suspension system Honda put on them. Got the swingarm, sprocket, chain case, Wheels and motor installed and I got to admit I like this little bike. The color was a bit of a risk but I'm really happy with the look of the bike especially seeing the engine in it now only compliments it.

Now getting back to the motor. I got allot of emails asking me exactly what I used to polish those parts and as I said I used everything and anything that would work but I'll add another picture to help you visualize what I used.

I used a dremmel tool along with Q-Tips. I also used the little kit in the picture. It only cost $5. and that's about all it's worth but it did work ok and helped with the job. I also used three deferent types of buffing attachments. They cost me $10. and I used them with a 1/4 air buffer/pin grinder and had it hooked up with a regulator for easier control. The rest was just time and elbow grease! I also only used the black and white compounds. Hope this will make it a little clearer. Randy my friend, Your very welcome. Stay tuned and don't change that channel! Paul

austinmdpedi
honda305.com Member

Post by austinmdpedi » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:08 pm

Holy cow Paul. I am new to this site as of last night and I have now spent about 2 hours then and another hour today devouring your posts on your restorations. I have a '68 Dream 305 that has been sitting for a year and a few months after purchase. I rode it about 20 miles and put it away as a project for a later date. So... with winter coming I thought I would look and see what is out there in terms of resto help. Your posts are invaluable. I am a total banana peel weekend fiddler and don't have 1/10 of the tools you have but with a bit of hard work and ingenuity you've inspired me that just maybe, I can do this... so thanks. Wow... really beautiful work.

4shorts
honda305.com Member

Post by 4shorts » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:56 pm

austinmdpedi wrote:Holy cow Paul. I am new to this site as of last night and I have now spent about 2 hours then and another hour today devouring your posts on your restorations. I have a '68 Dream 305 that has been sitting for a year and a few months after purchase. I rode it about 20 miles and put it away as a project for a later date. So... with winter coming I thought I would look and see what is out there in terms of resto help. Your posts are invaluable. I am a total banana peel weekend fiddler and don't have 1/10 of the tools you have but with a bit of hard work and ingenuity you've inspired me that just maybe, I can do this... so thanks. Wow... really beautiful work.

Hi austinmdpedi.

First of all let me be the first to welcome you to the site and I'm very happy to read that the posting of my projects have inspired you.

One will never know how much he can accomplish until he actually tries to do something and I'm sure when you set out to do your bike you'll succeed in getting it done.

Yes I will admit I do have a few tools kicking around but there really there for my daytime job. As for motorcycle restorations I'm as far from a pro as you can get and I tell everyone " If I can do it, anyone can do it".

Some of my friends and family said that posting all the pictures and trying to explain each step of the process is almost as much work as doing the actual bikes but I have enjoyed the posts and the emails I've received because of it.

The two most rewarding things I get out of this hobby is taking a old bike that was almost ready for the bone yard and trying to add some years to it's life which I'm confident I've accomplished but the most rewarding part of it all is when I see a post like yours and I realize it's all worth while knowing It's helped someone do there own restoration so I thank you very much for posting that.

I'm sure when you do start at your Dream if you need any help you can count on the fine folks on this site and if there's anything I can help you with feel free to email. Thanks again. Paul

4shorts
honda305.com Member

Post by 4shorts » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:01 pm

Well the C200 is 90% complete at this point and everyone who comes in the shop really likes the look of it. One guy came in today and actually thought the bike was new. When I told him it was over 40 years old he looked at me kind of blanked face and I really don't think he believed me.

Anyway seeing I've posted on most everything about the bike here's a few pics of here original tool kit. Paul

4shorts
honda305.com Member

Post by 4shorts » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:57 am

This post is for Glen who happens to be a C200 owner in Australia. Glen asked me how to identify the year of his bike. Like everything else built with a VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) there is a way to tell by that number. The problem is, I don't know how to do it BUT if your bike have it's original wiring harness you can see the approximate year on it by looking for the harness tag.

The one pictured if off of my C200 and although my bike was built in late 1965 it's classed as a 1966 model. So although you won't get the exact build date you'll at least get in dated close enough to satisfy yourself. Hope this helps. Paul

4shorts
honda305.com Member

Post by 4shorts » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:31 am

Just in case there is someone out there restoring a C200, I've added the wiring diagram for the bike. Keep in mind that this bike is a Canadian model and it has factory winkers. Paul

Last edited by 4shorts on Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

4shorts
honda305.com Member

Post by 4shorts » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:23 pm

One of the things I do to give my bikes that little "custom" touch is with the fuel lines.

I take regular clear fuel line. Cut it to the desired length. Cut two 1/2 inches of heat shrink and slide the expandable mesh over the clear line and cap off each end with the heat shrink.

I just love the look of it. See if you do! Paul

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home