□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Oil Leak after running

Steverino
honda305.com Member

Post by Steverino » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:07 am

My 1975 750 has that same leak but I'm waiting until I finish a couple other motorcycles before I start taking it apart. Thanks for the info!
Steve

Bob Dale
honda305.com Member

1 leak resolved, at least one more to go

Post by Bob Dale » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:24 pm

I found a definite leak at the clutch push rod seal and fixed it with a NOS seal from Ebay. I'm still getting oil from somewhere but it's hard to tell where because it's a much slower leak than the push rod seal. I think it might be coming from behind the stator but I haven't pulled it off yet. I assume pulling the stator and getting all the way down to the seal underneath it is not a big job. Please let me know if I should expect any trouble.
Hamamatsu Nippon wrote:A common oil leak for our engines occurs from the right side cover. There is a small drain cut out in the bottom of the engine cover. There is no gasket on this cover since no oil should be found in here. Inside the cover are two walls that contains lost engine oil and sends it out the drain. Honda rightly so, cut that drain just below the crankshaft oil seal, and the starter sprocket oil seal just in case of seal failure. It is likely the starter seal that is leaking but could be the crank seal. You have to pull the stator to get at the seals.
My engine leaks from this drain as well. I'm going to fix this in the winter when I find the correct seals.

Bob Dale
honda305.com Member

Re: 1 leak resolved, at least one more to go

Post by Bob Dale » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:49 am

False alarm on what I thought was a 2nd oil leak. It turned out to be gas, not oil, from a slow drip from the carb overflow tube that was flowing through the hole in the top of the case and settling in the bottom of the right side. A quick carb float adjustment fixed it. Next issue to resolve is chronic plug fouling.
Bob Dale wrote:I found a definite leak at the clutch push rod seal and fixed it with a NOS seal from Ebay. I'm still getting oil from somewhere but it's hard to tell where because it's a much slower leak than the push rod seal. I think it might be coming from behind the stator but I haven't pulled it off yet. I assume pulling the stator and getting all the way down to the seal underneath it is not a big job. Please let me know if I should expect any trouble.

Elvis
honda305.com Member

Blaine Santa Cruz CA 65 305 Dream(survivor,running but drips

Post by Elvis » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:09 pm

I replied to another thread, but then searched again and found this thread. I think I have a leak from the oil seal on the starter (I replaced the rollers springs pins but didn't have the oil seal. Though it didn't seem to be leaking from that seal.

Any updates on this or solutions found? since it only leaks when running or shortly after stopping (leaks 2+ tablespoons). a little oil on the front of the motor where starter joins and then it blows back and drips off rear brake arm, center stand mount, drive chain cover.

would taking off the rt side motor cover show leaks when not running?

Blaine

Hamamatsu Nippon
honda305.com Member

Post by Hamamatsu Nippon » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:41 pm

I recently changed my starter sprocket seal and crank seal to solve the right side engine leak. I got the seals locally and bought a spare set. If anyone needs the seals, PM me and I can mail them. $5 a seal plus mailing from Canada.
1967 CA78
1965 CM90

The value of life can be measured by how many times your soul has been deeply stirred.
Soichiro Honda

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home