Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Oil Leak after running

smi481
honda305.com Member

Oil Leak after running

Post by smi481 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:51 am

Has anyone experienced an oil leak from the rear of the engine
after riding the bike for a half hour or longer?

The bike runs fine, is oil drip free when cold, but after running
within a couple of hours .... a 3" spot of clear engine oil is
under the engine?

Screws are tight as well as the oil drain bolt with a new gasket.

After a day or two .... the oil drip dissapears and the bike
is dry as a bone? Perhaps some kind of drain line that
is routed behind the engine??

Any thoughts why it would leak after being run and while
being at running temperature - with the oil leak stopping
after the bike cools off?

Thanks for any help you can give.

sm481

Waveblaster
honda305.com Member

Post by Waveblaster » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:11 am

assuming the gaskets and seals are ok it could be blow by from the head. It could be oil dripping after condensing in the breather behind the engine.

Perhaps you could lay an old large mirror underneath while running and something may become apparent.

pojobey
honda305.com Member

Post by pojobey » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:02 pm

I have noticed a similar leak on my CB77. It appears to be coming from one of the two rectangular drain/vent holes on the right underside very close to the right exhaust pipe. It does quit after a day or so but it ain't getting any better either! Did you figure yours out yet?

Thanks,
-pb

Bob Dale
honda305.com Member

Post by Bob Dale » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:56 am

I've got the exact same problem with my '66 CA77. After a short ride it drips several tablespoons of oil from the bottom of the right side engine cover. It's hard to tell exactly where its coming from because it spreads all over the bottom of the engine. Makes a real mess wherever I park it. After about a day it completely stops, even when stored vertically on the stand. That seems to indicate that maybe its not the bottom of the main crankcase cover gasket but possibly some internal seal that is normally above oil level and only sees oil while the bike is running. Possibly the sprocket shaft seal? I have clear breather tubes and there's no oil showing up there so I don't think it's blow-by. I was going to pull the right side engine cover to check the gaskets and seals behind it when I found this post. Anybody had and solved this problem before?

Hamamatsu Nippon
honda305.com Member

Post by Hamamatsu Nippon » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:48 pm

A common oil leak for our engines occurs from the right side cover. There is a small drain cut out in the bottom of the engine cover. There is no gasket on this cover since no oil should be found in here. Inside the cover are two walls that contains lost engine oil and sends it out the drain. Honda rightly so, cut that drain just below the crankshaft oil seal, and the starter sprocket oil seal just in case of seal failure. It is likely the starter seal that is leaking but could be the crank seal. You have to pull the stator to get at the seals.
My engine leaks from this drain as well. I'm going to fix this in the winter when I find the correct seals.
1967 CA78
1965 CM90

The value of life can be measured by how many times your soul has been deeply stirred.
Soichiro Honda

Bob Dale
honda305.com Member

Post by Bob Dale » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:28 pm

It's been a long time since I've had that right side cover off. I forgot that there's no gasket there. Your starter or crank seal idea sounds right. I guess we're on the same quest for those seals. I will update the post if I find them. Thanks.
Hamamatsu Nippon wrote:A common oil leak for our engines occurs from the right side cover. There is a small drain cut out in the bottom of the engine cover. There is no gasket on this cover since no oil should be found in here. Inside the cover are two walls that contains lost engine oil and sends it out the drain. Honda rightly so, cut that drain just below the crankshaft oil seal, and the starter sprocket oil seal just in case of seal failure. It is likely the starter seal that is leaking but could be the crank seal. You have to pull the stator to get at the seals.
My engine leaks from this drain as well. I'm going to fix this in the winter when I find the correct seals.

Steverino
honda305.com Member

Post by Steverino » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:07 am

My 1975 750 has that same leak but I'm waiting until I finish a couple other motorcycles before I start taking it apart. Thanks for the info!
Steve

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home