Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Japan Meets Britain

CYP77 - Police | Race Bikes | Choppers, Bobbers and Mods
Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:21 am

Waveblaster wrote:Hi Vince

I understand that you have fitted the external Capelli oil cooler and filter. Have you considered tapping a sender unit into the external fitting. Might be nice to get reading of the oil temp and pressure. Not critical but perhaps a nice to have if you enjoy the mods. Would be interesting to see the before and after Capelli pump readings.

regards

Greg
Greg -- What I have currently fitted is the oil filter conversion kit, and I just got the 6mm oil pump that we're going to install over the winter. I haven't done the oil cooler.

Here is the oil cooler: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CB72-CB77 ... 13&vxp=mtr

As you can see, it's a bit of a monster! And from what I can tell, you'd need to remove the starter motor, which wouldn't be good for me as I no longer have the kickstart mechanism. So I don't think that modification is in the cards for me.

What I can say is that I think that oil filter conversion kit is a worthwhile consideration -- definitely is a better filtration method (at least from my non-mechanic perspective), and I actually found a bit more oomph at the rear wheel. The 6mm oil pump is just a bit of safety measure, though Cappellini says that the stock (4.5mm) pump works fine with the filter kit. Other good thing is that these particular modifications don't change the external look of the bike -- I have enough of that going on already!

I think what the bike really needs next year is a good long road trip -- maybe either Mid-Ohio again or something completely different.

Waveblaster
honda305.com Member

Post by Waveblaster » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:32 am

Hi Vince

With you now, so this unit
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CB72-CB77 ... b6&vxp=mtr

I see what you mean about the oil cooler. I noted there is this version. but it would also possibly detract from the bikes aesthetics; and where to mount. with longer lines it might fit up near the horn. A lot of weighing things up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CB72-CB77 ... 2e&vxp=mtr

I wonder if an oil sender has ever been fitted and if so where. If it was just temperature I guess one could be fitted to the sump plug but if you have a magnetic plug it rules it out.

Alternatively the left side cover gallery but this would be unsightly.

Just toying with ideas.

Greg

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:37 am

Greg

I was thinking about this and it would be possible to fit some kind of banjo to one of the front head studs in place of the acorn nut and then you would have an indication of oil getting to the top of the engine. It wouldn't interfere with the flow as it is right at the end of the system. Pressure would probably be negligible but it would be good to see the temperature at that point....

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:54 am

Beginning of the winter projects! Yippee!

John picked up the bike earlier this week, and already has the 6mm Cappellini pump installed. We were wondering about this difference with the pump, compared to my original pump:

Pump1 by Vince.Lupo, on Flickr

Pump2 by Vince.Lupo, on Flickr

Anyone know what that piece is for? It's not on my other oil pump, so we were both curious to know.

Wheels are going to Lee after Christmas -- he's going to do a 'Vincent Black Shadow' treatment on the rims. Black painted around the center of the rims down to the shoulders, then a red pinstripe on either side. Stand back!

Wheels2014 by Vince.Lupo, on Flickr

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:04 pm

That is a CL72/77 pump with the casting where the lower engine mount bolt passed through.
At the beginning the DREAM/HAWK/SUPER HAWK was the type you had.
The CL72/77 had the one you show.
A time came that HONDA realized that both designs mechanically were the same.
From that time they issued the type you show and discontinued the other.
Had to do with inventory and $$$$$$. .........lm
Vince Lupo wrote:Beginning of the winter projects! Yippee!

John picked up the bike earlier this week, and already has the 6mm Cappellini pump installed. We were wondering about this difference with the pump, compared to my original pump:

Pump1 by Vince.Lupo, on Flickr

Pump2 by Vince.Lupo, on Flickr

Anyone know what that piece is for? It's not on my other oil pump, so we were both curious to know.

Wheels are going to Lee after Christmas -- he's going to do a 'Vincent Black Shadow' treatment on the rims. Black painted around the center of the rims down to the shoulders, then a red pinstripe on either side. Stand back!

Wheels2014 by Vince.Lupo, on Flickr

GORDON BROWN
honda305.com Member

oil check

Post by GORDON BROWN » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:42 pm

Hello Everyone

Just a mention about what G-Man said, I made up a oil flow check point using a brake line banjo fitting with the end tapped for a bolt. Its mounted on the front R/H stud
( highest/furthest point).I milled a bit from the top cover and used the narrowest banjo I could find, also put a groove in the "fin" so it does not try to turn when torqueing the head.
It seemed a good idea on the parade / race bikes as sometimes it is unused for a long time. We turn it over using a starting engine with the plugs out ( you could just use the starter on a road machine ).
The main thing is you don't need to take the tension of the main head / cyl. studs, not exactly restoration stuff but you hardly notice it.
Hope this all makes sense.

Gordon
SAFOJ

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:28 pm

LOUD MOUSE wrote:That is a CL72/77 pump with the casting where the lower engine mount bolt passed through.
At the beginning the DREAM/HAWK/SUPER HAWK was the type you had.
The CL72/77 had the one you show.
A time came that HONDA realized that both designs mechanically were the same.
From that time they issued the type you show and discontinued the other.
Had to do with inventory and $$$$$$. .........lm
Many thanks for the info Ed! I'll pass it on to John.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home