Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1964 dream clutch/kick start questions

Bobs305dream
honda305.com Member

1964 dream clutch/kick start questions

Post by Bobs305dream » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:58 am

I'm working on my 64 dream..just rebuilt the carb an went to kick it over..obviously I had kicked it over quite a few times..now here's my problem/question..obviously if the bike is in gear and you try to kick it, the bike rolls cause it's in gear. Now I push the clutch in and all of a sudden the kick start is free and not engaging. I put it in neutral and kick it over and it engages and turns the motor over, but if I pull the clutch in and try to kick it over, the kick start doesn't engage and just moves freely. Is this normal? Is it nessecery to pull the clutch in when starting it?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: 1964 dream clutch/kick start questions

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:07 am

If you pull the clutch lever you release the clutch from the crank shaft so nothing other than the clutch moves. ..............lm
Bobs305dream wrote:I'm working on my 64 dream..just rebuilt the carb an went to kick it over..obviously I had kicked it over quite a few times..now here's my problem/question..obviously if the bike is in gear and you try to kick it, the bike rolls cause it's in gear. Now I push the clutch in and all of a sudden the kick start is free and not engaging. I put it in neutral and kick it over and it engages and turns the motor over, but if I pull the clutch in and try to kick it over, the kick start doesn't engage and just moves freely. Is this normal? Is it nessecery to pull the clutch in when starting it?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home