Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Clutch VERY difficult and not shifting smoothly

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
Mucci
honda305.com Member

Clutch VERY difficult and not shifting smoothly

Post by Mucci » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:30 am

I've been rebuilding this barn find CA95 for the past 8 months. Finally got it fired up after the rebuild and tuned in. I'm currently having issues with the clutch and shifting gears. The clutch is very hard to pull. So far I've replaced the cable, sprayed cable grease down it, made sure the routing was as smooth as possible and completely disassembled, blasted clean and repacked the clutch adjustment cylinder and actuator rod with new grease. The rod is straight.

I then adjusted the clutch via the manual - bottomed out all on cable adjusters, set the clutch cylinder so there was 10-15mm of free play in the lever and tightened the allen head back down.

The clutch is still very hard to pull. I was able to ride it around for a bit but it seemed to just get worse as I rode. Eventually it was nearly impossible to get the bike out of first gear, even when rocking it back and forth and slowly letting the clutch out. With the bike off it shifts ok, not great. While moving sometimes it will be very difficult to shift from 1st to 2nd.

I should mention clutchless shifting is a breeze. Can anyone help me here?

SMBH
honda305.com Member

Re: Clutch VERY difficult and not shifting smoothly

Post by SMBH » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:14 pm

Mucci wrote:I've been rebuilding this barn find CA95 for the past 8 months. Finally got it fired up after the rebuild and tuned in. I'm currently having issues with the clutch and shifting gears. The clutch is very hard to pull. So far I've replaced the cable, sprayed cable grease down it, made sure the routing was as smooth as possible and completely disassembled, blasted clean and repacked the clutch adjustment cylinder and actuator rod with new grease. The rod is straight.

I then adjusted the clutch via the manual - bottomed out all on cable adjusters, set the clutch cylinder so there was 10-15mm of free play in the lever and tightened the allen head back down.

The clutch is still very hard to pull. I was able to ride it around for a bit but it seemed to just get worse as I rode. Eventually it was nearly impossible to get the bike out of first gear, even when rocking it back and forth and slowly letting the clutch out. With the bike off it shifts ok, not great. While moving sometimes it will be very difficult to shift from 1st to 2nd.

I should mention clutchless shifting is a breeze. Can anyone help me here?
You say "The clutch is still very hard to pull" do you have the correct clutch springs in.

Mucci
honda305.com Member

Post by Mucci » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:24 pm

SMBH wrote:You say "The clutch is still very hard to pull" do you have the correct clutch springs in.
I have assumed they're the stock springs. As I said the bike bike was a barn find. The Odometer read 73 miles (not that it's a hard item to change out) but I at least can account for the past 15 years or so of it sitting.

We removed the clutch basket while rebuilding the motor but I never completely disassembled the plates. Going to take it all back out today and clean them up. I had 10w-30 in it before but read that it's better to use 30wt diesel oil so some Shell 30wt Rotella will be going back in.

If this doesn't work either does anyone have any other guesses? How hard should the clutch be to pull? Are there any other transmission adjustment points I'm missing?

SMBH
honda305.com Member

Post by SMBH » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:55 pm

Mucci wrote:
SMBH wrote:You say "The clutch is still very hard to pull" do you have the correct clutch springs in.
I have assumed they're the stock springs. As I said the bike bike was a barn find. The Odometer read 73 miles (not that it's a hard item to change out) but I at least can account for the past 15 years or so of it sitting.

We removed the clutch basket while rebuilding the motor but I never completely disassembled the plates. Going to take it all back out today and clean them up. I had 10w-30 in it before but read that it's better to use 30wt diesel oil so some Shell 30wt Rotella will be going back in.

If this doesn't work either does anyone have any other guesses? How hard should the clutch be to pull? Are there any other transmission adjustment points I'm missing?
As im not familiar with the CA95 I have a CB77 I would suggest you use a 10/40 motorcycle oil as this type of oil is designed for motorcycle clutch's.
Perhaps owner of a CA95 may be of help with how hard the clutch leaver is to pull, I would not think it would be very hard these bike were aimed at both sexes the CA95 is not a sports model.

deafanddiabetic
honda305.com Member

Post by deafanddiabetic » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:04 am

I know this thread is from awhile ago, but did you double check that you have your ball bearing in the clutch rod pocket of the right side case? I had clutch pull issues and it was because I was missing that steel ball on the end.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home