Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

I need advice

SMBH
honda305.com Member

I need advice

Post by SMBH » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:49 pm

Please can I ask for your advice I have a 1964 CB77 restored (not by me) and I have reached a stage were I need to have the head and barrel lifted to check out the cam chain and rollers, and I realy did not want to do this.

Please can some one give advice on the best way to drop the engine that looks like my biggest problem the wight of it you see I can not do any lifting (old boy with a bad back) I know about all the parts to disconnect im not new to bikes I have restored many british bikes over the years but no jap stuff.

I have a hydraulic motorcycle work bench so I intend to take off all the sundry parts with the bike up high then take the bike off the bench onto the floor to drop the engine, there are four engine bolts what sequence do i remove them to lower the engine to the ground.

Any advice would be much appreciated thanks.

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:41 pm

Mike

How wide is your hydraulic bench? Considering your back problem I would try and park the bike across the bench and support the engine on the bench. You can remove the bolts with the engine supported then lower the bench and engine away from the frame.

You just need to wheel the frame away while you raise the engine up on the bench to work on. You may need a few strategically placed bits of wood to stop the motor rolling around..

Would you like me to come and visit?

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

SMBH
honda305.com Member

Post by SMBH » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:51 pm

Thanks mate I have PM you.

hondadreamca77
honda305.com Member

Engine Dolly

Post by hondadreamca77 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:56 pm

Hi,

Use the site search feature and look up "engine dolly" for ca77. It's one I made to slide under the bike, unbolt from frame, and roll out.

Effective and cheap to build. Without it these motors are clunky and heavy to "manhandle" out of the frame.
68' 305 Dream, 75' Honda 750-four, 74' Honda CL 125, 72' Honda CA 70, 80' Honda Passport, 74' Aerimachi Harley Sprint 125, 64' Yamaha 90.

kfsrq
honda305.com Member

Nullify gravity for a moment ...

Post by kfsrq » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:14 pm

I also am a tad older than my SuperHawk, so I cannot remove the engine with style.

Concerning the matter of putting the engine BACK IN, I am reminded of the fellow
who was being knighted by Queen Elizabeth II. Before the ceremony, he was asked to
choose between the procedure for candidates who CAN kneel and those who CAN'T.

He replied that he would be eligible for the procedure
for those who CAN kneel, but CAN'T get back up.
I believe he was knighted while standing.
(This may have been Sir Peter Ustinov ... a guess.)

Anyway, I removed the carbs and battery and oil and chain and electrical connections,
then I laid the bike gently down onto a sheet of plywood, muttering suitable apologies.
I undid the various bolts, and wiggled the engine onto the plywood.
Doing the reverse, to install the engine, was easier than I expected.

And it runs.

Have you a progress report for us?

Keith

SMBH
honda305.com Member

Post by SMBH » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:28 pm

Yes I do have a progress report and I just did what our old mate G-Man suggested and put the bike across my bike hoist and with a lot of care all went well raising the hoist under the engine removing all attachments then lowering the hoist and moving the engine less bike away, then I could raise the hoist to work on the engine. Ho I made a crude wooden box to go under the engine and starter motor to support it as the engine will fall forward when all the bolts are removed.

If I can do it at 70 any one can do it well almost any one.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home