Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Looking for advice - selling the CA77

Susan
honda305.com Member

Looking for advice - selling the CA77

Post by Susan » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:11 pm

Admin: please move this if I've posted in the wrong place.

So it's come to this: I don't have the time to rebuild the motor of my Dream, and I've spent so much $$ on it that I just can't bear spending more (for a rebuilt motor to drop in).

Information about this bike can be found by searching my post history - and I owe a big heap of thanks to everyone who helped me suss out various issues. The small number of miles that we had together were very happy indeed.

The summary: I bought it running and did some work as things came up: electrical, new headlight, carb, fuel tap, cleaned tank, and some other small stuff. Got a really ace mechanic to work out the rest of the kinks and do some engine work, and it purred like a kitten. But it locked up taking off from a light when a screw backed out of the sprag clutch, and opening the cases found that there were a lot of engine internals that would need to be replaced.

My thought is that it needs either someone with the time to do a full engine rebuild (with many new parts), or it needs a donor motor - I don't have the time for the first and don't have the cash for the second. I'm heartbroken, but it's not doing anyone any good sitting around the way it is. My solace is that I'll no doubt pick up another someday (after I've divested of a few more of these non-runners- I've got some Germans and some Italians in the stable as well).

So I throw this out here to look for advice: should I sell it as-is (1966 as per title, but I'll verify by looking up the VIN) or should I part it out? I have no illusions that I'll make back even a fraction of what I've put into it, I'm just looking for a fair price for what it is...and I have no idea what that is.

Any wise counsel would be appreciated.

Susan
honda305.com Member

Post by Susan » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:21 pm

I guess I should attach some pictures.

Image1966 Honda Dream by susanmab, on Flickr

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:15 pm

Hi Susan

How far have you dismantled the motor? If it was running fine before the starter clutch problem, have you considered just removing the starter clutch and putting it back together?

It's often tempting that you need to replace lots of parts when you have something dismantled when, in reality, it would work just fine.

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Susan
honda305.com Member

Post by Susan » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:35 pm

G-Man wrote:How far have you dismantled the motor? If it was running fine before the starter clutch problem, have you considered just removing the starter clutch and putting it back together?
Hi G -

I'm not sure I'm reading you right - are you saying to button the motor back up and put it back into the frame in order to sell the project (as opposed to being sold with no motor at all)? Or do you mean something else?

Upon opening the cases to diagnose what ended up being the initial reason for it locking up, we found many other engine internals in need of replacement. Believe me, were it just the sprag clutch, I would have replaced that and called it a day (and I'd hopefully be riding it now).

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:31 pm

Susan

Yes - I think it would sell better with the engine in the frame.

I am curious as to what these engine parts that need replacing are. There are not many critical parts underneath the cover that holds the stator / rotor and starter clutch. What are the parts that you know (or were told) need replacing? You say that the bike was running fine before the starter clutch went wrong so I am perplexed at what else suddenly failed at exactly the same time....

Post some pictures of the motor in its current state, please....

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

jensey
honda305.com Member

Post by jensey » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:41 pm

Hi,

I'm with G, not many valuable parts in there except the crank,

Jensen
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

conbs
honda305.com Member

With G

Post by conbs » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:32 pm

I am with G and Jensen. If it was running fine it should run that well again with the same parts.

What parts were you told needed to be replaced inside the cases? Were they mic'ed or just visual inspection or ???

I am encouraging you to reconsider selling. You can not expect to get much for a non-runner, basket case. Check out completed listings on eBay and you will get an idea of what it would be worth. If you don't have the room that is one thing. But, remember how much fun you had riding it?

The sad truth is there aren't many females in the 305 community. An all-male club is just too boring. I hope you will stay in and do it with both feet as has been demonstrated in your past posts. You have a lot of courage and I really admire it. I, for one, will help you work through figuring out how many of your parts can be re-used, etc.

If you end up selling I guess everyone will all understand. I just hope we don't lose you.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home