Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Introducing my 1969 Dream 305

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
Puck90a
honda305.com Member

Introducing my 1969 Dream 305

Post by Puck90a » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:51 pm

My dad has had a couple Dreams sitting around that he has meant to restore for the past 20 or so years but hasn't gotten around to it. I asked him a few weeks ago if I could take them off his hands (I'm 29, single, employed, and have a garage). He's getting older and creaky and doesn't really feel like he can fool with it anymore. So he was delighted that I was interested in reviving his "Dream".

I have a black one I'm using as a parts bike, and a white one that I want to restore.
Here's the video of the start up today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTbfKi7 ... e=youtu.be

The carb was very dirty and I just cleaned out the bowl and main jet (didn't remove the whole carb). Put a lawn mower tank on it, new battery, and it fired right up! It didn't puff white smoke. I didn't even attempt to put it in gear - I'm assuming the clutch plates are gunked up after all these years.

I would like to do a full restoration, and I had been thinking about whether I should get the engine rebuilt. And considering how sludgy the carb was, I'm wondering how bad the rest of the engine is. It ran pretty dang good though, and my dad swears it'll be fine if I just leave it alone. So I may just start disassembling the bike and restoring parts one by one, and just clean the engine exterior without a rebuild.

Is there a good procedure for at least cleaning out the engine without taking it apart? Could I Seafoam it like a car? Can I expose the valve train and at least and clean all that up the best I can?

Anyway... This is my first post, and probably many more to come!

Here's a pic. As you can see, it's pretty much a complete bike.

SWARDLAW
honda305.com Member

Post by SWARDLAW » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:56 pm

It runs good and no smoke. I would leave it alone and just make it safe to ride. Clean and oil everything and ride while you restore it. Even though I've spent way to much on restoring mine most people really like the old patina look. Gotta give Honda credit for building a true classic that refuse to die. Have some fun and ride safe.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home