Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Japan Meets Britain

CYP77 - Police | Race Bikes | Choppers, Bobbers and Mods
LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed May 28, 2014 2:45 pm

I think I recall you took the bike for a ride several years back and showed the ride to this forum.
I recall I heard your engine RPM and asked why you shifted at such low RPM.
I think your reply was the road was windy.
Maybe you could check back and recall what it was you had attached to the lower right side of your bike for that ride. ..............lm

Vince Lupo wrote:What I'm thinking is to use one of my clip-on microphones and attach it to the end of the muffler. Then it would not be susceptible to any wind noise, and it would be 'at the source', as it were.

My iPhone would need an adapter to use a microphone, and even a GoPro would require an adapter to use a standard 3.5mm headphone-jacked microphone. I'm looking at one of the GoPro cameras, but I have to justify the purchase beyond simply this one video.

And this time, I'll be sure to shift up to 5th!

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Wed May 28, 2014 8:46 pm

I think at the time you had asked me why I didn't shift into 4th (I had the old transmission at the time), and I was only able to get it into 3rd due to the type of road I was on (4th gear would have been seriously lugging). The camera I had was an old Nikon Coolpix 5000, and I was using its built-in microphone. What I'd like to do is to use one of my clip-on mics and clip it to the inside rim of the muffler (so that I don't get any wind noise, and the mic is 'at the source'). What I need is a camera that can accommodate a plug-in mic (3.5mm jack). My Nikon D4 and Nikon D800 will work, but they are large DSLR cameras. A GoPro will work, but I need to a) buy the camera and b) buy the microphone adapter. An iPhone will also work, but I need to get a mic adapter in order to use this mic. I like the idea of the GoPro, but I just need to justify the expenditure beyond this one video. Other alternative is that I use my Olympus E-P2 camera and get the mic adapter ($54.95). That might be the best choice.

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Wed May 28, 2014 8:50 pm

Okay, just ordered the mic adapter for my E-P2. Should do the trick.

What I did last time was to use a couple of Manfrotto Super Clamps and a pole, and I mounted the camera on the end of the pole. I wanted the camera low to the ground so you got the full effects of the road (I don't think having the camera mounted to the top of your handlebars or your helmet is a good spot). My only concern was that I was that the pole was going to scrape the ground in the left turns, so this time around I might mount it to the lower fork leg and feed the mic wire to the muffler somehow. Maybe use some nylon ties. We'll see.

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:40 am

Did a few video 'runs' this morning. This is the best of the lot, but still far from perfect. I need to figure out a better spot for the microphone (clipped to the back of my jacket in this one) where the wind doesn't cause nearly as much distortion. Clipping the mic to the inside of the muffler was a no-go -- WAY too loud!

I attached the camera to the top of my left boot, so it moves a bit as I shift. Couldn't mount it onto the bike itself because there's too much vibration.

BTW count the number of gear shifts!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/direction ... 373215724/

Now that I think of it, inside my helmet might be a good spot for the microphone.

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:43 pm

Another attempt -- I think I'm going to try helmet-mounting the microphone (to the inside of the helmet), and I'm going to secure the camera a bit better.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/direction ... 376610732/

jensey
honda305.com Member

Post by jensey » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:58 am

Hi Vince,

The best place for the mic is behind the bike, for example under the seat at the rear, just sticking out. When you put a little foam around the mic the sound is excellent. You could also take it closer to the intake of the air cleaners, as long it is situated in the bike, out of the wind.

I experimented with the position of the mic with my two strokse, to cats the sound of the mufflers, the position underneath the seat is one of the best I found,

Jensen
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:07 am

That's a good idea -- I'll give that a try on my next attempt. And I have about 4 different microphones I can try, and two of them already have the foam on them.

I'll get it one way or another!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home