Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

My custom petcock

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
kloan
honda305.com Member

My custom petcock

Post by kloan » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:44 pm

Well, couldn't seem to find a replacement petcock for my '68 Dream, so I decided to make something.

Picked up a large diameter washer, one 1/4" nut, one brass universal petcock and a valve stem to screw into it.

I've got the washer/nut sitting on the tank with a generous coating of JB Weld (since I don't know how to weld, or have any of the tools even if I did), so if all goes well with that, all I have to do is screw in this part and I'm good to go!

I'm looking forward to seeing it mounted.. I think the brass is gonna look hot!

kloan
honda305.com Member

Post by kloan » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:07 am

So uh.. got it all mounted and working, but gas is leaking from the threads.

Can someone recommend some sort of thread sealer? Something that won't glue it so I can't remove the thing when/if I need to.

Other than that, it looks good and works well. Unfortunately, it is a little too long and hangs down just a bit further than the carb sits, but it flows fine so far.

piecutter
honda305.com Member

Post by piecutter » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:38 pm

Teflon tape, correctly applied, usually works.

fervus
honda305.com Member

Post by fervus » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:28 am

that one looks cooler than mine. then again mine came with my bike, I didn't build it...

I took it off to figure out if I could just keep using it or if I should replace it. I'm leaning toward replacing it, what do you think?

;)

kloan
honda305.com Member

Post by kloan » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:52 pm

That looks pretty fugly, I'd replace it! :)

Does it just screw into the bottom of your tank? If so, it'll be easy enough to find something at a hardware store, or similar... the beauty of using a standard 1/2" nut (what I used).. I actually think I might have to try something else.. so far, it works fine, but the tube comes way below the carb then back up (to use an inline filter), so I think I might run into low gas pressure when it gets lower in the tank.. but until I get my freakin license (workin on it), all I can do is run it up and down my alley... doh!

Oh, I ended up using a thread sealer with teflon in it. Worked wonders. No more leaks.... :)

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home