Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Adjusting valve clearance

efk1970
honda305.com Member

Adjusting valve clearance

Post by efk1970 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:00 pm

Regarding adjusting valve clearance, I've gone through and adjusted all the valves, twice now and still find what I think is my valve train to be noisy through acceleration and decceleration. All I can think of is that the rocked arm adjustment postion does not really sit squarely against the top of the valve. This being the case, on which edge do you measure the clearance as the front edge is going to have a bigger gap than the back edge? I've made a crude diagram below and would like any input. Thanks again.

Last edited by efk1970 on Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Adjusting valve clearance

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:39 pm

As you can place the tool from the front of the opening only I think that you can answer your question without help from others.
Nice graphics !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DEDEDED
efk1970 wrote:Regarding adjusting valve clearance, I've gone through and adjusted all the valves, twice now and still find what I think is my valve train to be noisy through acceleration and decceleration. All I can think of is that the rocked arm adjumet postion does not really sit flatley against the top of the valve. This being the case, where do you adjust the clearance? I've made a crude diagram below and would like your input. Thanks again.

efk1970
honda305.com Member

thanks

Post by efk1970 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:21 am

Yes, I know that seems like the obvious answer, but I have some slim offset feeler guages that allow me to slide in from the front to measure the back edge where the clearance would be less. So if I follow what you saying correctly, and I were to measure only on the front edge, then the back edge of the valve would essentially have no gap.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: thanks

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:31 am

You will find that the adjustment screw is NOT FLAT.
It is ROUNDED and only the center will be in contact with the valve end.
Measure from any angle you like. ..............lm

efk1970 wrote:Yes, I know that seems like the obvious answer, but I have some slim offset feeler guages that allow me to slide in from the front to measure the back edge where the clearance would be less. So if I follow what you saying correctly, and I were to measure only on the front edge, then the back edge of the valve would essentially have no gap.

efk1970
honda305.com Member

ok, here's the adjuster

Post by efk1970 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:30 pm

So, I've pulled out one of my adjusters, and yes they are not flat but they are barely rounded. Tough call to make the adjustment as with the angle that the rocker comes down, the gap will not be on the apex of the minute curve on my tappet. If that's I'll I'm going for fine. If my adjustment screw does not appear to have the amount of roundness on it's end as it should, any suggestions? Are they easy to come by for purchase or should I take them to a grinding whell and give them a nice semicircle?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: ok, here's the adjuster

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:41 pm

I recommend ya look at all of them and if any have flat areas that ya buy new ones.
Honda has them.
That domed area is all that's needed to set the clearance and we have been doing it since that engine was designed and delivered and it's not a tough call.
I don't have a clue what ya expect but that part has worked for experts and neophites for years. ................LM.

efk1970 wrote:So, I've pulled out one of my adjusters, and yes they are not flat but they are barely rounded. Tough call to make the adjustment as with the angle that the rocker comes down, the gap will not be on the apex of the minute curve on my tappet. If that's I'll I'm going for fine. If my adjustment screw does not appear to have the amount of roundness on it's end as it should, any suggestions? Are they easy to come by for purchase or should I take them to a grinding whell and give them a nice semicircle?

davomoto
honda305.com Member

valve clearance

Post by davomoto » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:53 pm

Make sure that you are adjusting the valves on the correct cycle. After you adjust each side, rotate the crank 360 degrees to the T mark, and re-check clearance. If you have adjusted everything correctly, your noise is probably coming from somewhere else. These engines tend to be a bit noisy. Have you adjusted the cam chain?

davomoto

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home