□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

mmiiiiiz
honda305.com Member

Post by mmiiiiiz » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:52 pm

Cattterar, your bike is really looking great! It is quite evident that you put a lot of time into it over the past year, hope you enjoyed yourself. I'm closing in on the finish line of my '66 Dream (was just signing on to post some pics), and would love to know how you got yourself an NC title. Every time I call the DMV here, I get a different response. If you get a chance, let me know what the secret is, in the meantime, keep up the good work.

catterar
honda305.com Member

NC DMV Title

Post by catterar » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:21 pm

miiiiz,

I went to the local license plate agency here in Angier and asked them what I would need to obtain a title for the bike.

They said I would have to have a DMV License and Theft Officer come and inspect the bike and run a check on it to make sure it was not listed as a stolen vehicle. Next I would have to obtain an indemnity bond for one and a half times the value of the vehicle. I asked who determined the value of the vehicle and they printed out a form based on the VIN/Frame Number listing that the state valued the bike at $100.00. At that point no one from the state had seen the bike. They also gave me a form to fill out and have notarized that would need to accompany the indemnity bond.

I contacted License and Theft they came out and inspected the bike and completed their own multi-page form that they submitted to DMV. I only got a copy of the first page to submit with my application.

Next I went to my insurance agent to inquire about an indemnity bond. His company did not do indemnity bonds but he sent me to a company that did. The $150.00 bond cost me $100.00. For that amount if anyone came forward and proved that they were the rightful owner of the bike, they would get the value of the bond and I would get to keep the bike.

I submitted all the required paperwork along with a copy of the bill of sale that the previous owner had given me, paid another $45.00 in additional DMV fees, and about 4 weeks later I received a valid NC title in the mail.

If you would like copies of the paperwork email me at catterar at yahoo dot com and I will send them to you in PDF format.

Bob

mmiiiiiz
honda305.com Member

Post by mmiiiiiz » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:39 pm

Thanks for the information. While it took a little work, and some time, that sounds cheap enough to get a title. I had been told several things over the phone: couldn't ever get a title, "maybe" with an indemnity bond...I should have gone in person.

I'll head down there this week, and get the ball rolling. If I have any questions, or need the forms, I'll surely fire you off an e-mail.

Thanks again

catterar
honda305.com Member

It's on the road and running like a Dream

Post by catterar » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:09 am

I've only put about 175 miles on it so far. Still shaking things loose and retightening fasteners, chasing electrical gremlins and everything else that goes with starting a restored bike.
Attachments
IMG_0390.JPG
IMG_0390.JPG (149.84 KiB) Viewed 2248 times
IMG_0392.JPG
IMG_0392.JPG (147.73 KiB) Viewed 2248 times

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Re: It's on the road and running like a Dream

Post by Seadog » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:44 am

Nice job! What did you end up with for mufflers?
catterar wrote:I've only put about 175 miles on it so far. Still shaking things loose and retightening fasteners, chasing electrical gremlins and everything else that goes with starting a restored bike.

Nick
honda305.com Member

Post by Nick » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:32 pm

Looks great! Ya done good.

Regarding starting, since the Dream has only a choke but no enrichener circuit, I've found that kicking mine through a couple of times with the gas on and the ignition OFF primes the cylinders, making for easier starting.
Do what you've always done and you'll get what you've always had.

rrietman
honda305.com Member

Post by rrietman » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:58 pm

you will note that Honda has provided a "priming" position on the ignition switch (dreams). the electric starter runs, but no ignition. this is the way I always cold start any vintage Honda. full choke, no ignition---- kick it over twice. then key on and kick. should rev with no choke after 1 min. (electric start is only for warm starts).
good luck
Randy

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home