Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

What a concept - A Girl Bringing Back Her 1966 Super Hawk

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
sarals
honda305.com Member

Post by sarals » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:15 am

48lesco wrote:Wow that's looking good! - However - I wouldn't run it for long without the muffler attached properly. Those are expensive pieces (muffler and footpeg bracket) that could develop cracks if the system isn't bolted-up properly. It looks like you're close enough that if you loosen everything up including the swingarm bolt it should go with gentle persuasion. I've swapped a few of these mufflers and I don't recall ever having not used a pry bar...
It's close, but no ceeegar! I'll try again. Here's what I have tried:

1) Swingarm bolt loosened.
2) Footpeg perch mount bolt loosened.
3) Engine mounts ALL lossened.
4) Jack under the engine.
5) Header pipe not installed.
6) Pushing and shoving on the muffler.

Where it is now is as close as I've been able to get it.

I'll try again!
1965 CB77 305 Super Hawk
1989 NT650 Hawk GT
1981 Yamaha XJ550 Seca

48lesco
honda305.com Member

Post by 48lesco » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:06 am

Good on loosening everything up. You might need a little more than pushing and shoving by hand and it's hard to advise where to pry it without being there, but find a good point of leverage that will move the muffler with respect to the offending bracket and go at it with a pry bar. You could also try removing the engine and footpeg muffler mount bolts, install the aft bolt that your having trouble with, and see where your at (move the problem to a different bolt). You may find an easier point to pry on that way too. You'll get it.

sarals
honda305.com Member

Post by sarals » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:11 am

48, thanks. I'll give it my best try!

Just a little food for thought - the first thing I did was line the bottom muffler mount up with the frame strut, and stabbed a bolt through it. With that mount attached, neither the footpeg perch nor the engine mount bolt hole would come anywhere near lining up. The engine seemed like it needed to move forward almost a 1/4 inch! Something is seriously out of whack, I just can't decide what it is.
1965 CB77 305 Super Hawk
1989 NT650 Hawk GT
1981 Yamaha XJ550 Seca

cknight
honda305.com Member

Post by cknight » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:11 am

If the ends of the mufflers are now both the same distance from the ground, and the same distance from the rear tire, it would appear that the lower right strut needs to be bent a bit inboard and down. The lower bolt should then be closer to be able to pass through the brackets and the strut. A minor bit of elongating the bolt holes in the right muffler tabs may be needed. I've never been a fan of forcing these, as that creates stress in one of the pieces, usually the mufflers. Regards, Chase

sarals
honda305.com Member

Post by sarals » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:05 pm

cknight wrote:If the ends of the mufflers are now both the same distance from the ground, and the same distance from the rear tire, it would appear that the lower right strut needs to be bent a bit inboard and down. The lower bolt should then be closer to be able to pass through the brackets and the strut. A minor bit of elongating the bolt holes in the right muffler tabs may be needed. I've never been a fan of forcing these, as that creates stress in one of the pieces, usually the mufflers. Regards, Chase
That makes sense! Thank you for that, Chase!
1965 CB77 305 Super Hawk
1989 NT650 Hawk GT
1981 Yamaha XJ550 Seca

sarals
honda305.com Member

Post by sarals » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:37 pm

First, 48 and Chase - THANK YOU!

I just spent over three hours bending, heating and bending, along with a little grinding. A picture is worth a thousand words:

The entire exhaust system is secure. Now, seeing as how the bike, as long as I've owned it, has never had bolts in the muffler struts, this is an accomplishment! The right side strut did need to be bent down and in. The footpeg perch needed more straightening, as well. Finally, I had to enlongate the bolt holes in the strut mounts on the muffler just a little (I love Dremel tools!). It was a tight fit, but it bolted up. I do hope I never have to remove it!
Last edited by sarals on Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1965 CB77 305 Super Hawk
1989 NT650 Hawk GT
1981 Yamaha XJ550 Seca

jleewebb
honda305.com Member

for persistence

Post by jleewebb » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:13 pm

yee-haw!
'62 CB77. "It's a rider."

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home