honda305.com Forum

Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

30W Non-detergent - Or is there something better?

dave305
honda305.com Member

Post by dave305 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:53 pm

I go to the Honda dealer and pick up some Honda 10-40w oil.

bonjour
honda305.com Member

Post by bonjour » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:41 am

Same here, keep it simple. (10w40 or 15w40)

If the engine breaks down, don't blame the oil.

And if it really was the oil that caused it, something was probably wrong anyway, it just failed a little bit quicker.

Just make sure the oil pump does it's work, and change the oil once a year or every so xxxx miles.
'Of course I've already taken a very modest position on the monetary system, I do take the position that we should just end the Fed.' - Ron Paul

bonjour
honda305.com Member

Post by bonjour » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:41 am

Same here, keep it simple. (10w40 or 15w40)

And if it really was the oil that caused it, something was probably wrong anyway, it just failed a little bit quicker.

Just make sure the oil pump does it's work, and change the oil once a year or every so xxxx miles.
'Of course I've already taken a very modest position on the monetary system, I do take the position that we should just end the Fed.' - Ron Paul

hondadreamca77
honda305.com Member

Oil debate

Post by hondadreamca77 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:51 pm

I'm amazed at how much activity this thread has generated. Over fifty years ago Honda specified 30W HD oil for the engines. Fifty years later they still run and many after sitting or being abused during the 70's and 80's when no one cared much for these bikes......

30W HD

Nuff said.....
68' 305 Dream, 75' Honda 750-four, 74' Honda CL 125, 72' Honda CA 70, 80' Honda Passport, 74' Aerimachi Harley Sprint 125, 64' Yamaha 90.

jensey
honda305.com Member

Post by jensey » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:00 am

Come on, do you really believe that ?

The amount of wear is directly related to the quality of oil you use in your engine, breakdown, in most cases, is the final phase of wear.

And to hondadreamca77, this text was written June 2013 by you :
OK....maybe it's me but I could not find step by step on oil filter service search or in download manual. Just redirect me rather than reinventing wheel if its there. Anywho....pleading ignorance...simple steps to service centrifigal oil filter.. I see under engine the plate (kinda like old VW's) around oil plug and also see on L. side of motor 4 screws and plate by spark plug....where to start without breaking anything.
I wonder how many miles you covered in those 3 months to draw such a conclusion and how many C/CB engine you did rebuild ?

Jensen
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:57 am

Hello jensey and others.
I have always used 30W ND and rode lots of long rides and wasn't ever afraid to high rev my engines.
If you disagree with my experience with these engines and the oil I use it's OK with me but it doesn't make my decision wrong nor yours right.
I have my experience and will stick with it.
At times folks look down at others who disagree with them but I don't care what you do or don't do as to engine oil.
It's your machine and do what you like.
That said I care more about the correct adjustment of the engine parts as that is where your engine will wear no matter the type of oil. .......lm

jensey wrote:
Come on, do you really believe that ?

The amount of wear is directly related to the quality of oil you use in your engine, breakdown, in most cases, is the final phase of wear.

And to hondadreamca77, this text was written June 2013 by you :
OK....maybe it's me but I could not find step by step on oil filter service search or in download manual. Just redirect me rather than reinventing wheel if its there. Anywho....pleading ignorance...simple steps to service centrifigal oil filter.. I see under engine the plate (kinda like old VW's) around oil plug and also see on L. side of motor 4 screws and plate by spark plug....where to start without breaking anything.
I wonder how many miles you covered in those 3 months to draw such a conclusion and how many C/CB engine you did rebuild ?

Jensen

jensey
honda305.com Member

Post by jensey » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:35 am

The fact that so much is written about the subject (not only on this forum) says something about the complexity of the subject itself. In particular I responded to these sentences :
30W HD

Nuff said.....
and
I disagree with both of them, it's too easy. That doesn't mean that I disagree with you that everyone should do what he / she wants with the engine, that's very true.

Jensen
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home