Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Ignition switch cleaning/rebuild

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
dreamer2
honda305.com Member

Post by dreamer2 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:54 am

Hi, I'm told by the local expert that my ignition switch is bad and should be cleaned or replaced. I've never done this before and can't seem to get much info. from doing a search on the site. Can anyone give me some advice as far as what to do and watch out for when I take this switch apart?
Thanks in advance!

cadman
honda305.com Member

Post by cadman » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:44 pm

Oh yes - I took mine apart to also clean - there are a bunch of parts that will fall out and reassembling them is a mystery. There are three triangular copper pieces that make contact in various places as the key is turned. They have to go back exactly as they come apart. There is a picture on this site of their position, however that didn't seem to work for me. Lots of trial and error to get it to work right.

The back of the switch is held on in three places by a bend in the metal case. You can carefully pry on these areas (unbend) but be careful not to crack the plastic. Once you get it "unbent" carefully pry the back off and make sure to carefully note the position of the three triangular pieces. They will be in the metal case part. If you need I have a pic of mine apart.

dreamer2
honda305.com Member

Post by dreamer2 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:28 pm

Thanks for the reply Cadman. I did locate the picture on this site and used it to do the rebuild. The only problem with the switch now is the starter won't crank in the first position down from off, but I can live with that. thanks again

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home