Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Headlight/running light question

Dugan
honda305.com Member

Headlight/running light question

Post by Dugan » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:10 pm

Hello,

I read elsewhere that the CB77 wasn't designed for running the lights on all the time, as the law in my state requires, so I wanted to get confirmation. Has anyone ever heard of this? Is it true?

Thanks!

D

cadman
honda305.com Member

Post by cadman » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:55 am

Early charging systems were marginal at best. If you are running down the road at 60mph you might be okay but if not than I would bet you will run out of battery fairly soon.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Headlight/running light question

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:30 am

Some states don't require all bikes.
They have a year after which that law is in effect.
Have you actually checked?. .........lm
Dugan wrote:Hello,

I read elsewhere that the CB77 wasn't designed for running the lights on all the time, as the law in my state requires, so I wanted to get confirmation. Has anyone ever heard of this? Is it true?

Thanks!

D

Dugan
honda305.com Member

Post by Dugan » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:23 am

Yes, I did check and IL does not make any exceptions, at least as far as I can tell from the DMV website.

Dugan
honda305.com Member

Post by Dugan » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:40 am

So these bikes were never capable of being driven at night for any significant length of time?

At any rate, I suspect it would have to be a real dick of a cop to give me a ticket for it if I explain the situation; still an annoyance.

Goodysnap
honda305.com Member

Myth

Post by Goodysnap » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:53 am

Dugan wrote:So these bikes were never capable of being driven at night for any significant length of time?

At any rate, I suspect it would have to be a real dick of a cop to give me a ticket for it if I explain the situation; still an annoyance.
A properly functioning charging system is more than capable of maintaining all lights for long distances. In fact, I run with lights on at all times. I just feel safer and I think its a good idea for not only 2 wheelers but all vehicles.

More than likely you will find that these older bikes are exempt from some state and local regulations. For Instance, most models were not equipped with turn signals(winkers) and therefore are not required to have them or install them. Most states do require you to use the proper hand signals at all times. Because this bike came with headlight and taillight I would say that if your state requires them that they should be on at all times and you would not be exempt.

What you have heard is more than likely a myth or rumor from someone experiencing a problematic or inoperative charging system. For instance , when a stator loses a leg you'll loose 1/2 or more of your charge rate. When your talking about only 1-3 amps and a handful of bulbs , that can make a huge difference. There are some good write ups in the archives that will fill you in on specifics of this charging system and what to expect.

Goody
64' CB77
65' CB160

Dugan
honda305.com Member

Re: Myth

Post by Dugan » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:03 am

Goodysnap wrote: More than likely you will find that these older bikes are exempt from some state and local regulations. For Instance, most models were not equipped with turn signals(winkers) and therefore are not required to have them or install them. Most states do require you to use the proper hand signals at all times. Because this bike came with headlight and taillight I would say that if your state requires them that they should be on at all times and you would not be exempt.
My state does not require turn signals on any bikes, but requires headlights on all bikes.
Goodysnap wrote: What you have heard is more than likely a myth or rumor from someone experiencing a problematic or inoperative charging system. For instance , when a stator loses a leg you'll loose 1/2 or more of your charge rate. When your talking about only 1-3 amps and a handful of bulbs , that can make a huge difference. There are some good write ups in the archives that will fill you in on specifics of this charging system and what to expect.
I suppose I should check what my bike is putting out. I'll look for the threads you mentioned. Thanks for the info.

D

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home