Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Restoration Blog: CB77 No. 1039XX

Want to keep a Restoration Log? Post it here! You can include photos. Suggested format: One Restoration per Thread; then keep adding your updates to the same thread...
Lassociety
honda305.com Member

Post by Lassociety » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:11 pm

I have left my recently redone heads bare, but if you are concerned about corrosion resistance, you can dip aluminum in Alodine 1201. This is commonly done to aircraft parts, and produces a chrome conversion coating on the outside layer of aluminum. It's usually a slightly gold color, so it can be seen what areas have been treated, but it is also available in clear. Clear is Alodine 1001. Treat first with alumiprep, which cleans aluminum amazingly well. Both are available from aviation parts sellers. By the way, by chrome conversion coating, I don't mean it will look anything like chrome. It will still LOOK like bare aluminum, but the outermost layer will be chemically resistant to corrosion. The "chrome conversion" terminology is I believe based on the the chromic acid in the solution.

FiremanBob
honda305.com Member

Post by FiremanBob » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:48 am

Am nearly ready to rebuild the head. I need to buy a set of valve springs as one was broken. Also, here is a picture of the left camshaft. You can see there is a ding in one lobe. I don't know if this is acceptable. If not, is it repairable or must I replace this camshaft?

One of the bearings came off the camshaft as I was pushing it out of the head. What is the right way to re-install this bearing?

I'm also despairing about the rear shocks. I have two sets, both very rusty and in need of re-chroming. In addition to having to fabricate tools for disassembling them, I wonder:

1. Can I get seals and o-rings to rebuild them? If so, where and at what cost?

2. What will it cost to get them re-chromed?

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:44 pm

You only need seals, there are no o-rings in the shocks. I think these may be the ones for CB72/77, but you need to check the bore and rod diameter of your damper, just in case.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-C92-C95 ... 3cc479721b

You probably need a replacement cam or a re-grind. You should be able to just tap the bearings on with a piece of tube or long socket. Drive only on the inner race. The bearing land on your cam looks nasty as well. The other bearing looks like it has been hot at some time.

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

jensey
honda305.com Member

Post by jensey » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:53 am

Hi,

The cam didn't get lubrication for a longer period. I would look for another one. But more important is to find the reason for this damage. Clogged oil ways ? A bad oil pump ? To much leaks in the oil system ?

Replace all cam bearings, make sure you buy C3 bearings. Make sure you put your came in the freezer (in a plastic bag) overnight, and heat up your bearings. when doing this the bearings will just slide on the cam. If you have to tap it, read G-man response.

I always heat the head (small oven, to a temp of 60 to 80 degrees Celsius and put the cam with bearings in the freezer overnight. This way the cams with bearings just slide into the head.

Jensen
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home