Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Exessive engine noise

conbs
honda305.com Member

Noise

Post by conbs » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:45 am

daywalker wrote:Yeah, I deleted the video because I'm getting it fixed right now. Everyone was saying they didn't hear the loud engine noise in the video anyway. I knew that these engines didn't sound that loud especially since my step dad who worked on these said they didn't. I could DEFINITELY tell my engine wasn't sounding "normal". I could barely hear myself think. Thanks for your explanation. I think my bike is in good hands. I'll make a video of it after it's been fixed. Then I'll upload the before video again to see the contrast.
So, what is being "fixed"?

hondadreamca77
honda305.com Member

Noise

Post by hondadreamca77 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:55 am

These motors do have a noisy aspect that is all their own. Due probably to the OH valve train rattling up the cylinder and aluminum head and the tank bottom bouncing the noise back down. As I walk around my bike idling, I can hear perceive different noises depending on my angle. But it's a beautiful sound I love to hear; that old 305 idling! I often crank mine just to enjoy the purr of a well engineered Honda machine :)

daywalker
honda305.com Member

Re: Noise

Post by daywalker » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:42 am

conbs wrote:
daywalker wrote:Yeah, I deleted the video because I'm getting it fixed right now. Everyone was saying they didn't hear the loud engine noise in the video anyway. I knew that these engines didn't sound that loud especially since my step dad who worked on these said they didn't. I could DEFINITELY tell my engine wasn't sounding "normal". I could barely hear myself think. Thanks for your explanation. I think my bike is in good hands. I'll make a video of it after it's been fixed. Then I'll upload the before video again to see the contrast.
Umm...The engine noise.

conbs
honda305.com Member

Re: Noise

Post by conbs » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:57 am

daywalker wrote:
conbs wrote:
Umm...The engine noise.
Okay then. Good luck.

Jane11
honda305.com Member

Post by Jane11 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:05 am

If it were me, I'd check the gap on the valves and check the tension on the cam chain. Those two are easy to check and will make noise if not adjusted correctly.

Let us know what you find out.

daywalker
honda305.com Member

Post by daywalker » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:52 am

Those are the things being checked right now. It also seems like the engine isn't getting enough power. Hmm. How can I pop a wheelie like this?? Lol

daywalker
honda305.com Member

Post by daywalker » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:09 pm

I have someone working on my bike. He said the cam chain needs to be replaced. He's trying to figure out if you have to take the engine completely off the bike or just take the top half off. If he doesn't have to take the engine off and take it apart, that will save me 100s of dollars. Can anyone tell me so I can give him the info? Thanks.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home