Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Anyone hear of IRC Tires?

FiremanBob
honda305.com Member

Anyone hear of IRC Tires?

Post by FiremanBob » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:25 pm

Surfing around, trying to find an alternative to Cheng Shite, I came across this site: http://www.ircthailand.com/irc/frame_prod_tire.html

It is the Thai subsidiary of Inoue, the Japanese tire company. They have several tires with different compounds and tread patterns in our sizes. Apparently the parent company specializes in bicycle tires only now.

Does anyone know if these tires are good?

piecutter
honda305.com Member

Post by piecutter » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:10 am

They're good tires. I have yet to see a matching set for a CB77 in a vintage tread pattern, though. Haven't looked up the CA77 sizes. If you're ok with a modern tread pattern on the Superhawk, they are ok, just a bit on the soft side.

FiremanBob
honda305.com Member

Post by FiremanBob » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:54 pm

Thanks. I'll take a grippy tire over a hard one any time, regardless of the tread pattern. Do you know if they have a US distributor? I'm prepared to deal with them directly if needed.

piecutter
honda305.com Member

Post by piecutter » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:00 am

Yes, there are several U.S. distributors. Your local bike shop should have them listed in several catalogs.

Eric
honda305.com Member

Post by Eric » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:21 pm

I hope you don't mind a new member chiming in. I have been using IRC tyres (OK tires - I am from the UK) on my S90s. I find them soft and grippy. They are available (for my S90) in old style ribbed front and universal rears. I am investigating the availability of CB72/77 sizes for my recently completed CB72 with my Indonesian supplier - IRC is Indonesian Rubber Company - and will post results with relevant links if my friend comes through with the goods.
The only problem I have found with any new tubed tyres is that new inner tubes are butyl and seem to be more porous than the old rubber inner tubes. I have started to be very careful with my old tubes as they hold the air longer than the new ones. Anyone else find this?
Eric
Glasgow, Scotland

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:54 am

I too got sick of Cheng Shin's as well and found that Dunlop K82 TT100 Lightweights did the trick. The tread pattern looks right on the bike, and they were rated as a 'Best Overall' tire for cost and performance by Classic Bike Magazine a couple of years ago. They are availalbe through Wheelhouse Tyres in the UK (01675 464221, www.wheelhousetyres.com), and I'm sure other tire places 'over there' have them too. They are pricey though, particularly when you factor in the shipping cost (works out to be about $ 100.00 per tire, as I recall). I don't think you can get the size we need (2.75x18 front and 3.00x18 rear) in the U.S.....you know, this is the land of the big fat tire and we ain't got no use for none of that skinny stuff over here!

305racer
honda305.com Member

Post by 305racer » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:17 pm

I have never run IRC's. I did run Cheng Shin's for a short time till I took the bike to the mountains for the first time and really pushed it in the twisty's. As soon as I got home I tossed them and started runnin Avon AM20's. They work great in the dry and in the wet but arent period looking by any means. I'm alittle more about function over fashion then most.
georGe
Ton Up Club-Florida
AHRMA #500 Road Race
#G50 Cross Country

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home