Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Rocker Arm Clamp Pin Removal

tkekfs
honda305.com Member

Rocker Arm Clamp Pin Removal

Post by tkekfs » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:16 pm

I am trying to remove my rocker arms in order to remove my cam shaft.<br /><br />In my Clymer manual it says to &quot;pull out the rocker arm clamp pins using a special puller.&quot; <br /><br />I am unfamiliar with this tool. Does anyone know what this is, where I can aquire one, or how I can improvise to remove the pins?<br /><br />Thanks in advance for any help.

georGe
honda305.com Member

Re: Rocker Arm Clamp Pin Removal

Post by georGe » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:29 pm

Dont remember what pitch bolt it is but you can thread it in the end and use a slide hammer or ? to extract them . I have used a bolt and pry bar to get them out in the past. That is if yer talkin about the racker arm shaft.<br /><br />georGe

Dean
honda305.com Member

Post by Dean » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:41 am

I have just removed mine - from the inside side of the cylinder head using a small drift and a hammer you can get the shaft moving. Once you run out of space with the drift try using an &quot;L&quot; shaped 4mm Allen key to knock the shaft out the rest of the way. Be very careful not to damage the inside walls of the shaft housing with the drift.

georGe
honda305.com Member

Post by georGe » Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:54 pm

Dean wrote:<br />I have just removed mine - from the inside side of the cylinder head using a small drift and a hammer you can get the shaft moving. Once you run out of space with the drift try using an &quot;L&quot; shaped 4mm Allen key to knock the shaft out the rest of the way. Be very careful not to damage the inside walls of the shaft housing with the drift.<br />
<br /><br />As I said try the bolt method. I have seen more than a few hammer and drift jobs gone sour quickly !<br /><br />georGe

tkekfs
honda305.com Member

Post by tkekfs » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:18 pm

Epiphany:<br /><br />I easily removed the pins today (using an M6 bolt with standard thread pitch inserted into the pin and tapped out using a 2lb slide hammer). My problem wasn't that the pins were stuck, I just didn't know you had to remove the head from the engine before pulling the pins. Today I noticed that the long bolts that hold the cylinder on run through the pins and therefore you cannot pull the pins out with the head on the engine. I feel like such an idiot, but am glad to have the rocker arms out. Thanks for all the help, it is really nice to have a place like this to ask questions.

georGe
honda305.com Member

Post by georGe » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:36 pm

blah hahahaha<br />Im not laughing at you Im laughing with you !<br />Its an honest enough mistake to make, if I ever told yall some of the mistakes Ive made you would have to change your shorts 2 times over. Its all part of the learning process !<br />Good luck on your project.<br /><br />georGe

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home